Robin Hood Screening Plant (Swinton)

From International Robin Hood Bibliography
Locality
Coordinate 53.5245, -2.3275
Adm. div. Lancashire
Vicinity On Clifton Green, c. 70 m NNE of W end of Ellerby Avenue
Type Establishment
Interest Robin Hood name
Status Defunct
First Record 1932
A.k.a. Robin Hood screens
Loading map...
The probable site of Robin Hood Screening Plant.
Robin Hood Screening Plant was located in the tree-covered area behind the wooden fence / Google Maps Street View.

By Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2019-02-27. Revised by Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2021-01-07.

The Robin Hood Screening Plant was formerly located at what is now Clifton Green, in Swinton, Manchester. It was probably situated 100 m or less SSW of Robin Hood Siding.


The screening plant processed coal from Newtown Colliery, situated 400 to 500 m to the SSW. Constructed by ming equipment suppliers Plowright Bros., the screening plant could handle up to 166 tons of coal per hour. A tub-way was used to transport coal from the pit-head to the plant. Major updates were made in 1932 and c. 1950. However, after a new coal preparation plant at Mosley Common Colliery was established, the screening plant was gradually run down, and use of the facilities ceased by late 1957.[1]

The tramway from Newtown Colliery with buildings towards and at its NNE end can be seen in O.S. maps listed below dating from the 1890s and later. The buildings are probably those of the screening plant. The latetr is not labeleld as such on any of the maps.

Gazetteers

Sources

Maps

Also see

Notes