Robin Hood Screening Plant (Swinton)
|Vicinity||On Clifton Green, c. 70 m NNE of W end of Ellerby Avenue|
|Interest||Robin Hood name|
|A.k.a.||Robin Hood screens|
By Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2019-02-27. Revised by Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2021-01-07.The Robin Hood Screening Plant was formerly located at what is now Clifton Green, in Swinton, Manchester. It was probably situated 100 m or less SSW of Robin Hood Siding.
The screening plant processed coal from Newtown Colliery, situated 400 to 500 m to the SSW. Constructed by ming equipment suppliers Plowright Bros., the screening plant could handle up to 166 tons of coal per hour. A tub-way was used to transport coal from the pit-head to the plant. Major updates were made in 1932 and c. 1950. However, after a new coal preparation plant at Mosley Common Colliery was established, the screening plant was gradually run down, and use of the facilities ceased by late 1957.
The tramway from Newtown Colliery with buildings towards and at its NNE end can be seen in O.S. maps listed below dating from the 1890s and later. The buildings are probably those of the screening plant. The latetr is not labeleld as such on any of the maps.
- Not included in Dobson, R. B., ed.; Taylor, J., ed. Rymes of Robyn Hood: an Introduction to the English Outlaw (London, 1976), pp. 293-11.
- Flickr: Newtown Colliery, Pendlebury, Lancashire 1932 by Pitheadgear
- Northern Mine Research Society: Newtown Colliery (1872-1961).
- 25" O.S. map Lancashire XCV.12 (1893; surveyed 1891)
- 25" O.S. map Lancashire XCV.12 (1909; rev. 1907) (georeferenced)
- 25" O.S. map Lancashire XCV.12 (1909; rev. 1907)
- 25" O.S. map Lancashire XCV.12 (1928; rev. 1927)
- 25" O.S. map Lancashire XCV.16 (1928; rev. 1927)
- 25" O.S. map Lancashire XCV.16 (1938; rev. 1936-37)
- 25" O.S. map Lancashire XCV.12 (1938; rev. 1937)
- 6" O.S. map Lancashire XCV (1850; surveyed 1844-46)
- 6" O.S. map Lancashire XCV.SE (1894; surveyed 1889-91)
- 6" O.S. map Lancashire XCV.SE (1910; rev. 1907) (georeferenced)
- 6" O.S. map Lancashire XCV.SE (1910; rev. 1907)
- 6" O.S. map Lancashire XCV.SE (1930; rev. 1926-27)
- 6" O.S. map Lancashire XCV.SE (1936; rev. 1936-37)
- 6" O.S. map Lancashire XCV.SE (1947; rev. 1938).
Click any image to display it in the lightbox, where you can navigate between images by clicking in the right or left side of the current image.
Robin Hood Screening Plant was located in the tree-covered area behind the wooden fence / Google Maps Street View.
Newtown Colliery front centre. Off the top right corner, at the end of the industrial railroad tracks lay Robin Hood Sidings and Robin Hood Screening Plant a.k.a. 'Robin Hood screens' / Manchester Collieries' Carbon magazine (Dec. 1932), uploaded to Flickr by user Pitheadgear.