Robin Hood Road (Ravenscar)
|Adm. div.||North Riding of Yorkshire|
|Vicinity||700 m SW of Ravenscar|
|Interest||Robin Hood name|
By Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2013-08-07. Revised by Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2021-01-05.
Robin Hood Road is a short (700 m) stretch of road leading from Raven Hall Road to Brow Moor. The name is indicated on Google Earth; it is probably of modern date. Beacon Howes about 350 m west of the road were known as Robin Hood's Butts as early as 1682, but by 1828 this name had been transferred to three mounds lying 1.4 km to the north-west on Stoupe Brow, Brow Moor. Perhaps someone with antiquarian interests who knew that the nearby Beacon Howes had once been named after the outlaw thought this fact should be commemorated in the name of this little road.
- Not included in Dobson, R. B., ed.; Taylor, J., ed. Rymes of Robyn Hood: an Introduction to the English Outlaw (London, 1976), pp. 293-311.