Robin Hood Plantation (Rowde)
|Vicinity||c. 425 m N of Conscience Lane, Rowde|
|Interest||Robin Hood name|
By Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2020-11-22. Revised by Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2021-01-07.
'Robin Hood Plantation' is the name of a small wooded area situated c. 425 m north of Conscience Lane, Rowde, Devizes. It is included on 6" O.S. maps of the area published 1924–1938. The place-name, which is still in use, must have been inspired by that of Robin Hood Cottage which appears towards the north end of the wooded area on 6" and 25" maps of the area published 1886–1901. There no longer appears to be any trace of this cottage.
- Not included in Dobson, R. B., ed.; Taylor, J., ed. Rymes of Robyn Hood: an Introduction to the English Outlaw (London, 1976), pp. 293-311.
- 25" O.S. map Wiltshire XXXIV.5 (1886; surveyed 1885)
- 25" O.S. map Wiltshire XXXIV.5 (1900; rev. 1899) (georeferenced)
- 25" O.S. map Wiltshire XXXIV.5 (1900; rev. 1899)
- 25" O.S. map Wiltshire XXXIV.5 (1924; rev. 1922)
- 6" O.S. map Wiltshire XXXIV (1889; surveyed 1885)
- 6" O.S. map Wiltshire XXXIV.NW (1901; rev. 1899)
- 6" O.S. map Wiltshire XXXIV.NW (1901; rev. 1899) (georeferenced)
- 6" O.S. map Wiltshire XXXIV.NW (1926; rev. 1922)
- 6" O.S. map Wiltshire XXXIV.NW (c. 1938; rev. 1922).
- See Maps section on this page.
- See Geograph: SU0063: Robin Hood Plantation.
Click any image to display it in the lightbox, where you can navigate between images by clicking in the right or left side of the current image.
Robin Hood Plantation / Michael Dibb, 29 Nov. 2014; Creative Commons, via Geograph.