Robin Hood Mill (Brighouse)
|Adm. div.||West Riding of Yorkshire|
|Interest||Robin Hood name|
By Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2014-10-17. Revised by Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2021-01-05.
Robin Hood Mill seems to have been established by 1823. From 1840 to 1874 if not later, the tenant was Ramsden, Camm & Company, manufacturers of telegraph wire, cables etc. Like the nearby Little John Mill, The Robin Hood Mill was built on land owned by the Armytage family of Kirklees Hall. Since they owned the land on which Robin Hood's alleged grave is found, it is a reasonable guess that they suggested these names for the mills.
Robin Hood Mill was probably one of the properties sandwiched in between Clifton Road and Wakefield Road, which would account for the address being variously given as one or the other. Also see Robin Hood Wire Works.
- Not included in Dobson, R. B., ed.; Taylor, J., ed. Rymes of Robyn Hood: an Introduction to the English Outlaw (London, 1976), pp. 293-311.
The following papers among the "Muniments of Kirklees and the Armytage Family", at West Yorkshire Archive Service, Calderdale, refer to the Robin Hood Mill:
- Rentals, KM/A/980 (1823-42): "For Robin Hood Mill".
- Plan, KM/A/1384 (1870): ""Of Robin Hood and Little John Mill at Clifton".
- Tenancy agreement, plan and other papers, KM/A/1038 (1894-1916): ""Concerning Robin Hood Mill, Clifton".
- Plan, KM/A/1385 (19th century): "Of Robin Hood and Little John Mill, Clifton"
- Correspondence, KM/A/1045 (1907): "Concerning rent for a water pipe at Robin Hood Mill belonging to Ramsden Camm and Co".
- Turner, J. Horsfall. The History of Brighouse, Rastrick, and Hipperholme; with Manorial Notes on Coley, Lightcliffe, Northowram, Shelf, Fixby, Clifton and Kirklees (Bingley, Yorkshire, 1893), p. 203.
- See MS sources section below.
- Malcolm Bull's Calderdale Companion: Mills & Mines R.