Jump to: navigation, search

Robin Hood Inn (Ironbridge)

Locality
Coordinates 52.626944444444, -2.4730555555556
Adm. div. Shropshire
Vicinity 33 Waterloo Street, Ironbridge, Telford
Type Public house
Interest Robin Hood name
Status Extant
First Record 1847
A.k.a. Ye Olde Robin Hood Inn
Loading map...
The Robin Hood Inn, near the Ironbridge, Telford.
The Robin Hood Inn, Telford / From the pub's website.

By Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2017-05-31. Revised by Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2018-07-16.

The Robin Hood Inn in what was formerly Madeley parish, now Ironbridge in the borough of Telford and Wrekin, is noted in the English Place-Name Society's first volume on Shropshire[1], referring to an 1849 tithe award. The latter, on inspection, turns out to have been drawn up in 1847 but received by the Tithe Commission in 1849. The plot, measuring 27 perches (682.91 m2), owned by Francis and John Yates, the occupier a John Bailey, was then described as "The Robin Hood Inn[:] Buildings & Garden". Bailey also rented from the same owners an adjacent stable occupying one half perch (12.65 m2).[2] The inn is currently known as Ye Olde Robin Hood Inn.

Gazetteers

MS sources

Printed sources

Maps

Background

Also see

Notes


Image gallery

Click any image to display it in the lightbox, where you can navigate between images by clicking in the right or left side of the current image.