Robin Hood Inn (Hazel Grove)
|Vicinity||On the north side of Buxton Road, immediately west of Norbury Hollow Road|
|Interest||Robin Hood name|
By Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2017-01-19. Revised by Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2021-01-05.
The Robin Hood Inn, formerly located in what was then known as Norbury but is now part of Hazel Grove, is first recorded in an 1849 tithe award. It is also included on the 6" O.S. maps listed below in the Maps section. The positioning of the label on these maps is somewhat ambiguous so that it is unclear whether the inn was on the north or south side of Buxton Road. However, according to a webpage on brick works in the area, there was a brick works immediately behind the Robin Hood Inn, and indeed the 1881 O.S. map has "Brick Field" just north of the three houses on the north side of the road. The inn would therefore have been one of these three houses or an earlier building at the same site. One of them is at present a Thai restaurant; was it formerly the Robin Hood?
Immediately east of the three white houses shown in the photo below there once was a Robinhood Pool with a small island in it. By a remarkable coincidence, in Cherry Hinton, Cambridgeshire, across the street from a public house named the Robin Hood we find Robin Hood Dip , which also contains a small island, the Giant's Grave.
- Not included in Dobson, R. B., ed.; Taylor, J., ed. Rymes of Robyn Hood: an Introduction to the English Outlaw (London, 1976), pp. 293-311.
- Dodgson, John McN.; Rumble, Alexander R. The Place-Names of Cheshire, pts. I-V (English Place-Name Society, vols. XLIV-XLVIII, LIV, LXXIV) (Cambridge, 1970-72; [s.l.], 1981; Nottingham, 1997), vol. I, p. 288.
- 6" O.S. map Cheshire XX.SW (1882; surveyed 1871-72)
- 6" O.S. map Cheshire XX.SW (1899; rev. 1896-97)
- 6" O.S. map Cheshire XX.SW (1899; rev. 1896-97) (georeferenced)
- 6" O.S. map Cheshire XX.SW (1912; rev. 1907)
- 6" O.S. map Cheshire XX.SW (c. 1946; rev. 1938).
- Hazel Grove place-name cluster
- Cherry Hinton place-name cluster
- Public houses named after Robin Hood.