Robin Hood Croft (Appley Bridge)

From International Robin Hood Bibliography
Locality
Coordinate 53.5985, -2.7264
Adm. div. Lancashire
Vicinity SW corner of Robin Hood and High Moor lanes, N of Appley Bridge between Hill House Fold Lane and Sparrow Hill/Hall Lane (A5209)
Type Area
Interest Robin Hood name
Status Extant
First Record 1841
Loading map...
Robin Hood Croft (Appley Bridge).
All the houses on the northwest side of Robin Hood Lane and south of High Moor Lane in the hamlet of Robin Hood are in the area once known as Robin Hood Croft / Google Earth Street View.

By Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2021-01-30. Revised by Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2021-02-11.

'Robin Hood Croft' was the name of a triangular plot of pasture on the southwest corner of Robin Hood and High Moor lanes, in the hamlet of Robin Hood, north of Appley Bridge, according to the 1841 tithe award for the 'Township of Wrightington in the parish of Eccleston'.

It figures there with Charles Scarisbrick, Esq., as landowner, Edward Halliwell as occupier, pasture as state of cultivation, and an area of 2 roods and 14 perches (2377.53 m2).[1] Nearly all the houses currently existing on the northwest side of Robin Hood Lane are in the area once named Robin Hood Croft.

The croft is not named in the early O.S. maps listed below.

MS sources

  • 1841 tithe award for the 'Township of Wrightington in the parish of Eccleston', online at the Genealogist, piece 18, sub-piece 350, image 035 (£)
  • accompanying map, online at the Genealogist, piece 18, sub-piece 350, sub-image 001 (£).

Gazetteers

Maps

Brief mention

Also see

Notes

  1. 1841 tithe award for the 'Township of Wrightington in the parish of Eccleston', online at the Genealogist, piece 18, sub-piece 350, image 035, #953 (£); accompanying map, online at the Genealogist, piece 18, sub-piece 350, sub-image 001, #953 (£).