Robin Hood Covert (Chesterton)
|Vicinity||Near NW corner of Golf course of Bicester Hotel Golf and Spa; intersection of A4095 and Middleton Stoney Road|
|Interest||Robin Hood name|
By Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2020-05-01. Revised by Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2021-01-07.
A spinney near the north-east corner of what is now the golf course of Bicester Hotel Golf and Spa – at the intersection of the A4095 and Middleton Stoney Road – was known as 'Robin Hood Covert' by 1922 (see Maps below).
As the covert is only labelled on the 25" O.S. map of the area issued that year, it is not clear if the name is still current. There have been several changes of ownership of Bignell House and Park, and part of the grounds are now a golf course open to members of the public. It would not be surprising if the name of the covert had been forgotten, but the spinney is still around, as can be seen in the Google Maps Street View photo included below.
The covert is entered here as a 'Natural feature': for statistical purposes IRHB does not distinguish between wild and planted plants.
- Not included in Dobson, R. B., ed.; Taylor, J., ed. Rymes of Robyn Hood: an Introduction to the English Outlaw (London, 1976), pp. 293-311.
- 25" O.S. map Oxfordshire XXIII.5 (1880; surveyed 1875)
- Oxfordshire XXIII.5 (c. 1899; rev. c. 1898). No Copy In NLS
- 25" O.S. map Oxfordshire XXIII.6 (1922, rev. 1919) (georeferenced)
- 25" O.S. map Oxfordshire XXIII.5 (1922; rev. 1919)
- 6" O.S. map Oxfordshire XXIII (1885; surveyed 1875-1880)
- 6" O.S. map Oxfordshire XXIII.NW (1900; rev. 1898)
- 6" O.S. map Buckinghamshire XXI (1923; rev. 1919-1920)
- 6" O.S. map Oxfordshire XXIII.NW (1923; rev. 1919-1920)
- 6" O.S. map Oxfordshire XXIII.NW (1948; rev. 1938)
- 6" O.S. map Oxfordshire XXIII.NW (1952; rev. 1950).