Jump to: navigation, search

Robin Hood Court (Upper Thames Street)

Locality
Coordinates 51.511111111111, -0.098055555555556
Adm. div. Middlesex, now Greater London
Vicinity Upper Thames Street, c. 20 m E of Peter's Hill; close to the Millennium Bridge
Type Area
Interest Robin Hood name
Status Defunct
First Record 1720
A.k.a. Rob. Woods Court; Robin Hood's court
Loading map...
Site of Robin Hood Court, Upper Thames Street.
Site of Robin Hood Court, Upper Thames Street / Google Earth Street View.
Robin Hood Court on John Rocque's map of London and Westminster (1746) / Locating London's Past.

By Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2018-06-27. Revised by Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2018-07-12.

The now lost Robin Hood Court at Upper Thames Street is mentioned in John Strype's Survey of the Cities of London and Westminster (1720) and figures in several 18th century lists of London street and place-names. It is included on John Rocque's map of London and Westminster (1746) as "Rob. Woods C[ourt]" (see map detail below and Maps section).

Harben in his entry on the locality refers to Ogilby and Morgan's 1677 map of London, but Robin Hood Court is not included on copies of the map available online.[1] A New Complete Guide to all Persons who have any Trade or Concern with the City of London lists the locality as "Robin Hood's court".[2] It is included in a list of London streets and localities in the Compleat Compting House Companion (1763) as "Robin Hood court".[3] See further the Gazetteers section below. The court disappeared when Trig Wharf was made.

Allusions

1720 - Strype, John - Survey of London and Westminster (07)

This Street [sc. Thames Street] enjoyeth a good Trade, and hath a great Resort, occasioned by the several Wharfs on the Water side: and therefore much pestered with Carts. Black Boy Alley, long and narrow, having a great Diers at the lower end. Boss Alley, also long and narrow, with a Diers by the Thames side. Betwixt this Place and Black Boy Alley, is a large passage to Wood Wharf. Robin Hood Court, but very ordinary. Trig Stairs, so called from the Stairs on the Water side, which is indifferently well supplied by Watermen. The Lane is pretty open, reasonably well built and inhabited. Castle Lane, pretty broad for Carts, having a Wood Wharf at the lower end; the Buildings are but ordinary, as are the Inhabitants. George Yard, being good and large, and taken up by Timber Merchants and Wood Wharfs at the lower end. Broken Wharf. By this is a Water House to convey the Thames Water in Pipes. Which of late Years hath been much improved, as to the Revenue, to what it was at first, by the Industry of those concerned therein; but not managed without a great Charge, in keeping so many Servants, and Horses for the forcing the Water up into the Cistern at the top of the Building, which is very lofty.[4]

Gazetteers

Maps

Also see

Notes

Image gallery

Click any image to display it in the lightbox, where you can navigate between images by clicking in the right or left side of the current image.