Robin Hood Cottages (Skegness)
|Interest||Robin Hood name|
By Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2016-12-22. Revised by Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2018-07-16.
A few clusters of houses on the west side of Alexandra Road and immediately south of Wainfleet Road in Skegness are indicated as "Robin Hood Cottages" on the 6" O.S. map of the area published in 1888. Were they homes or summer cottages? Already on the next revision of this map, published 1906, the name "Robin Hood Cottages" has gone though the houses are still indicated.
Sometime after 1946, when the latest of the 6" maps consulted was prepared (see Maps section below), the next road parallel to, and east of, Alexandra Road was named "Robin Hood Road" and a short road intersecting both was name Marian Road. For these see Skegness place-name cluster.
- Not included in Dobson, R.B., ed.; Taylor, J., ed. Rymes of Robyn Hood: an Introduction to the English Outlaw (London, 1976), pp. 293-311.
- 6" O.S. map Lincolnshire LXXXIV.SE (1888; surveyed 1887)
- 6" O.S. map Lincolnshire LXXXIV.SE (1906; rev. 1904-1905)
- 6" O.S. map Lincolnshire LXXXIV.SE (1906; rev. 1904-1905) (georeferenced)
- 6" O.S. map Lincolnshire LXXXIV.SE (c. 1948; rev. 1938)
- 6" O.S. map Lincolnshire LXXXIV.SE (1951; rev. 1946).