Robin Hood Cottage (Bassenthwaite)
|Vicinity||c. 500 m NNW of Bassenthwaite|
|Interest||Robin Hood name|
By Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2017-08-29. Revised by Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2021-01-07.
'Robin Hood Cottage' is a holiday home for rent situated in a vicinity known as 'Robin Hood' c. 2 km NE of Bassenthwaite Lake and some 600 m NNW of Bassenthwaite village.
It is possible that the name 'Robin Hood', included on the 6" O.S. map of the area published in 1867 as well as subsequent revisions (see Maps section below), was originally used of the cottage and subsequently came to be applied to the vicinity in which it is located, but it may also have originated as the name for the adjacent Robin Hood Farm or the whole vicinity. The name 'Robin Hood Cottage' seems to have arisen more recently, probably some time in the second half of the 20th century, judging by the look of the sign in the driveway that reads 'Robin Hood House and Cottage' (see the second image in the Image Gallery below). The cottage is sometimes – incorrectly, I believe – referred to as 'Robin Hood House'. This was, and possibly still is, the name of another building in the vicinity.
- Not included in Dobson, R. B., ed.; Taylor, J., ed. Rymes of Robyn Hood: an Introduction to the English Outlaw (London, 1976), pp. 293-311.
Vicinity, cottage or farm labelled 'Robin Hood'.
- 25" O.S. map Cumberland XLVI.16 (1900; rev. 1898)
- 25" O.S. map Cumberland XLVI.16 (1925; rev. 1923)
- 6" O.S. map Cumberland XLVI (1867; surveyed 1864-65)
- 6" O.S. map Cumberland XLVI.SE (1900; rev. 1898)
- 6" O.S. map Cumberland XLVI.SE (1900; rev. 1898) (georeferenced)
- 6" O.S. map Cumberland XLVI.SE (19230; rev. 1926).
- Cumbrian Cottages: Robin Hood Cottage
- Panoramio: Robin Hood House.
- Robin Hood House (Bassenthwaite)
- Wikipedia: Bassenthwaite.
Click any image to display it in the lightbox, where you can navigate between images by clicking in the right or left side of the current image.