Robin Hood Beer Shop (Hackney)
|Adm. div.||Middlesex, now Greater London|
|Vicinity||Collent Street, Hackney|
|Interest||Robin Hood name|
By Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2020-05-18. Revised by Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2020-05-20.
In 1881 a Robin Hood beer shop was located at 1 Boreham Street in Hackney. The street name is now lost, and so also in part is the street.
By 1913, if not earlier, Boreham Street had become the southwestern part of a roughly boomerang-shaped Arthur Street. At some later time the northeastern arm of Arthur Street became Brooksbank Street, and the part of its now disconnected southwestern arm that was situated on the north side of Cresset Road (then named Brunswick Street) became a mere footpath or paved walk, running north immediately west of the private parking space along Cresset House. On the south side of Cresset Road, lining up with the paved walk, is the northern arm of Collent Street. This is the southern half of the original Boreham Street. The coordinates used in the infobox and map are those of the (approximate) centre point of the original Boreham Street, and this must be about right if London Pubology is correct in listing the last addresss of the pub as '38 Brunswick Street', for this would mean that it was located at one of the corners of Boreham and Brunwwick streets, or in modern terms, on the corner of either Collent Street and Cresset road or on the north side of the latter, west or east of the paved walk. London Pubology lists 'Arthur Street, now Brooksbank Street' as one of the addresses of the pub, but while it is true that part of Arthur Street survives in and as Brooksbank Street, this is not the part of Boreham/Arthur/Collent Street where the pub was situated.
- Not included in Dobson, R.B., ed.; Taylor, J., ed. Rymes of Robyn Hood: an Introduction to the English Outlaw (London, 1976), pp. 293-311.
- Genealogist: 1881 Census of London, Piece 00308, Image 00065 (page 58 of the priginal record)
- London Pubology: Robin Hood
- Pub Wiki: The Robin Hood Beer shop, 1 Boreham Street, Hackney.
- 25" O.S. map London (1873; surveyed 1871)
- 25" O.S. map London (1916; rev. 1913)
- 25" O.S. map London (Edition of 1894-96) XLI (1897, rev. 1893) (georeferenced)
- 25" O.S. map London (1897; rev. 1893)
- 6" O.S. map Essex LXXIII (1873; surveyed 1863)
- 6" O.S. map Middlesex XVII (1880-1882; surveyed 1868-1873)
- 6" O.S. map London VII.NE (1894-1896; rev. 1893-1894)
- 6" O.S. map Essex LXXIII.SW (1898; rev. 1893-1895) (georeferenced)
- 6" O.S. map Essex LXXIII.SW (1898; rev. 1893-1895)
- 6" O.S. map Essex LXXIII.NW (1899; rev. 1893-1894)
- 6" O.S. map London Sheet K (1920; rev. 1913-1914)
- 6" O.S. map London Sheet K (c. 1946; rev. 1938).