Robin Hood Beck Bridge (Bassenthwaite)
|Vicinity||c. 1.3 km NE along the road to Uldale from the Castle Inn by the B5291|
|Interest||Robin Hood name|
By Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2017-09-09. Revised by Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2018-01-07.
Robin Hood Beck Bridge, c. 1.2 km NNE of Bassenthwaite, takes the road to Uldale over Robin Hood Beck c. 1.3 km NE of Castle Inn on the B5291. The only source I have found for this place-name is the Geograph page containing John Holmes's 2005 photo of the bridge (included on this page). He seems to know the area well, so most probably this name is in local use.
- Not included in Dobson, R.B., ed.; Taylor, J., ed. Rymes of Robyn Hood: an Introduction to the English Outlaw (London, 1976), pp. 293-311.
- 6" O.S. map Cumberland XLVI (1867; surveyed 1864-65)
- 6" O.S. map Cumberland XLVI.SE (1900; rev. 1898)
- 6" O.S. map Cumberland XLVI.SE (1900; rev. 1898) (georeferenced)
- 6" O.S. map Cumberland XLVI.SE (1926; rev. 1923).
Click any image to display it in the lightbox, where you can navigate between images by clicking in the right (or left) side of the current image.
Robin Hood Beck and Robin Hood Beck Bridge, south side of road/ John Holmes, 4 Dec. 2005, Creative Commons.