Robin Hood (Wakefield)
|Adm. div.||West Riding of Yorkshire|
|Vicinity||c. 2.5 km SW of Rothwell|
|Interest||Robin Hood name|
By Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2013-08-07. Revised by Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2018-07-16.
The first mention of a hamlet or village named Robin Hood c. 2.5 km south-west of Rothwell is found in an 1841 MS Tithe Award. Dobson & Taylor refer to an O.S. map from the same year. The village grew after a mine was opened there in the mid-19th century and miners settled in the neighbourhood. The mine closed in the 1960s; the village is now a residential area. Several localities in the area are/were named after Robin Hood (the village and/or the outlaw).
- Dobson, R.B., ed.; Taylor, J., ed. Rymes of Robyn Hood: an Introduction to the English Outlaw (London, 1976), p. 308, s.n. 'Robin Hood'.
- Smith, A.H. The Place-Names of the West Riding of Yorkshire (English Place-Name Society, vols. XXX-XXXVII) (Cambridge, 1961-63), pt. II, p. 138.
- Wikipedia: Robin Hood, West Yorkshire; brief but useful on the village, but the discussion of its alleged Robin Hood associations is misguided.