Jump to: navigation, search

Robin Hood (St Michael's Hill, Bristol)

Locality
Coordinates 51.458598, -2.599443
Adm. div. Gloucestershire
Vicinity 56 St Michael's Hill, Bristol
Type Public house
Interest Robin Hood name
Status Extant
First Record 1848
Loading map...
The Robin Hood.
The Robin Hood / Google Earth Street View.

By Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2013-08-07. Revised by Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2018-10-16.

The present Robin Hood at 56 St Michael's Hill in Bristol was in existence by 1848. Immediately north of the pub is Robin Hood Lane which connects St Michael's Hill and Horfield Road.


The following past proprietors are known:

  • 1848-49 – John Gerrish
  • 1851 – James White
  • 1853-55 – Thomas Davis Jarrett
  • 1856 – Joseph Pittaway
  • 1860-65 – Thomas Shipp
  • 1866-1874 – Hannah Shipp
  • 1875-79 – Thomas Ridler
  • 1881-1904 – Matilda Ridler
  • 1906 – Lydia Wride
  • 1914-40 – James Callaway
  • 1940 – Nellie Callaway
  • 1944-75 – Lionel W. Hamblett.[1]


It is not known if John Gerrish (1848-49) was the first publican, but there cannot have been many in the years immediately before his tenure, for in 1841 the building was home to a carpentry and before that to a grocer's shop. However, there was also a Robin Hood pub on St Michael's Hill during the years 1752 to 82. Most likely this was located either at the same site, perhaps in the same building, or immediately north of Robin Hood Lane. See further Robin Hood and Little John (St Michael's Hill, Bristol).

Gazetteers

Sources

Maps

Also see

Notes

Image gallery

Click any image to display it in the lightbox, where you can navigate between images by clicking in the right or left side of the current image.