Robin Hood (Marchington Cliff)
|Vicinity||Immediately NE of intersection of Thorney Lanes, Marchinton Cliff, and Forest Road|
|Interest||Robin Hood name|
By Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2020-10-13. Revised by Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2021-01-07.
A public house named the Robin Hood was situated immediately north-east of the intersection of Thorney Lanes, Marchinton Cliff, and Forest Road in Marchington Woodlands.
As per October 2020, a Google search shows that real estate information websites still refer to this property as 'Robin Hood', so the name of the pub lives on to some extent. As the house now at the site is clearly of fairly recent date, it is possible that its immediate predecessor was the Robin Hood. The earliest sources for this pub name known to IRHB are a 25" O.S. map of the area published 1901, based on a survey carried out in 1900, and an allusion in a book on fox hunting published the same year as the map.
À propos of the bloodhounds, a good story is told of how they were hunting some deerstealers, and how they came to a check at some cottages by three cross roads — possibly the Robin Hood at the top of Marchington Cliff. When their attendants came up to them they found the hounds sneezing and whining, with their heads up, nor could they be induced to try for the scent. At last it was discovered that the road had been freely sprinkled with black pepper, which effectually foiled the line, so that the deerstealers escaped.
- Not included in Dobson, R. B., ed.; Taylor, J., ed. Rymes of Robyn Hood: an Introduction to the English Outlaw (London, 1976), pp. 293-311.
- 25" O.S. map Staffordshire XXXII.16 (1883; surveyed 1882)
- 25" O.S. map Staffordshire XXXII.16 (1901; rev. 1900) (georeferenced)
- 25" O.S. map Staffordshire XXXII.16 (1901; rev. 1900)
- 25" O.S. map Staffordshire XXXII.16 (1923; rev. 1920)
- 6" O.S. map Staffordshire XXXII.SE (1886; surveyed 1881–82)
- 6" O.S. map Staffordshire XXXII.SE (1901; rev. 1900) (georeferenced)
- 6" O.S. map Staffordshire XXXII.SE (1901; rev. 1900)
- 6" O.S. map Derbyshire LII (1924; rev. 1920).