Robin Hood (Hitchin)

From International Robin Hood Bibliography
Locality
Coordinate 51.947664, -0.274779
Adm. div. Hertfordshire
Vicinity N side of Hollow Lane, near Queen Street
Type Public house
Interest Robin Hood name
Status Defunct
First Record 1721
Loading map...
At or near the site of the Robin Hood.
The Robin Hood would have been located in this area / Google Earth Street View.

By Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2020-09-03. Revised by Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2020-09-03.

The Robin Hood in Hitchin was situated on the north side of what is now Hollow Lane, at the west end of that street, near Queen Street. In existence by 1721,[1] it was demolished in 1922 as part of a slum clearance effort.[2]

The address of the pub was 2 St Andrew's Street.[3] On 25" O.S. maps based on revisions carried out in 1922 or earlier, the first 100 meters of the present Hollow Lane is labelled 'St. Andrew's St.', whereafter it becomes Hollow Lane. On 6" O.S. maps dating from 1950 or earlier, the stretch of the street labelled 'St. Andrew's St.' on the 25" maps is not named. At some point after 1922, the entire length of the street was named Hollow Lane. Information on publicans and residents for 1839–1901 can be found at the excellent Pub Wiki.[3]

Gazetteers

Sources

Maps

The pub is not indicated or labelled on the maps.

Background

Also see

Notes