Robin Hood (Harpurhey)
|Vicinity||112-14 Queen's Road and 17 Scropton Street (corner of Queen's Road and Scropton Street), Harpurhey, Manchester|
|Interest||Robin Hood name|
By Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2019-03-05. Revised by Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2021-02-12.
The Robin Hood in Harpurhey, which closed in 1984, was certainly in business by 1911 and was perhaps established in 1875.
A local blogger aptly describes the building, which was torn down in 1984, as "grand-looking [...] in the flat iron style". However, rather than inspiration from the famous flat-iron building in New York City (built 1902), it was probably the shape of the available plot of land which led to the wedge-shaped design. The building looked rather older and much less sleek than the New York skyscraper. A handful of photos of the pub are available online, but as a library has claimed copyright for them, they cannot be displayed here. For links see Pubs of Manchester, Past & Present: Robin Hood, Queens Road.
The Pub History website lists information on publicans for 1911 and 1929. To this we may add that the 1881 census lists William Frain, publican, under 112 Queen's Road. No pub name is listed, and it is not clear if the pub had traded under the name 'Robin Hood' ever since 1875, when it is said to have opened. The earliest date of record for the pub name must therefore be 1911 until earlier records may come to light.
- Not included in Dobson, R. B., ed.; Taylor, J., ed. Rymes of Robyn Hood: an Introduction to the English Outlaw (London, 1976), pp. 293-311.
Printed and web sources
- Pub History: Robin Hood, 112 & 114 Queens Road & 17 Scropton Street, Harpurhey, Manchester, Lancashire.
- 25" O.S. map Lancashire CIV.3 (1893; surveyed 1888-89)
- 25" O.S. map Lancashire CIV.3 (c. 1908; rev. c. 1904). No copy in NLS
- 25" O.S. map Lancashire CIV.3 (1922; rev. 1915) (georeferenced)
- 25" O.S. map Lancashire CIV.3 (1922; rev. 1915)
- 25" O.S. map Lancashire CIV.3 (1936; rev. 1931)
- 6" O.S. map Lancashire CIV.NE (1891; surveyed 1888-91)
- 6" O.S. map Lancashire CIV.NE (c. 1947; rev. 1938)
- 6" O.S. map Lancashire CIV.NE (1909; rev. 1905-1906) (georeferenced)
- 6" O.S. map Lancashire CIV.NE (1909; rev. 1905-1906)
- 6" O.S. map Lancashire CIV (1923; rev. 1915-21)
- 6" O.S. map Lancashire CIV.NE (1923; rev. 1915-21)
- 6" O.S. map Lancashire CIV.NE (1936; rev. 1931-32)
- 6" O.S. map Lancashire CIV.NE (c. 1947; rev. 1938).