Robin Hood (Hammersmith)
|Adm. div.||Middlesex, now Greater London|
|Vicinity||29 Queen Caroline Street|
|Interest||Robin Hood name|
By Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2020-05-20. Revised by Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2021-02-12.
There was a pub named the Robin Hood at Queen Caroline Street in Hammersmith from 1871 or earlier to 1891 or later. At the time the street was named Queen Street, the house number being variously given as No. 27 or 29 of that street or as 1 (Fulham) Palace Road since the pub was on the corner of those two streets. Fulham Palace Road was a short street on the east side of Hammersmith Bridge Road c. 50 m north of the bridge, connecting this street with Queen (Caroline) Street. House numbering may well have changed since then, and perhaps the house number would be 2 in modern terms (as can be seen in the photo below).
Pub Wiki provides information on publicans etc. for the years 1871-91. It also includes a black and white photograph of the pub from, perhaps, the early years of the 20th century.
- Not included in Dobson, R. B., ed.; Taylor, J., ed. Rymes of Robyn Hood: an Introduction to the English Outlaw (London, 1976), pp. 293-311.
- 25" O.S. map Surrey II.10 (c. 1866; surveyed c. 1866). No copy in NLS
- 25" O.S. map London (1869; surveyed 1865)
- 25" O.S. map Surrey II.10 (c. 1897; rev. c. 1895), No copy in NLS
- 25" O.S. map London LXXXVI (1897, rev. 1893) (georeferenced)
- 25" O.S. map London (1897; rev. 1893-94)
- 25" O.S. map London (1935; rev. 1913)
- 6" O.S. map Middlesex XXI (1873; surveyed 1865-66)
- 6" O.S. map London X.NE (1894-96; rev. 1893-94) (georeferenced)
- 6" O.S. map London X.NE (1894-1896; rev. 1893-94)
- 6" O.S. map Surrey II.SW (1898; rev. 1891-94)
- 6" O.S. map Surrey II.SW (1920; rev. 1910)
- 6" O.S. map London Sheet N (1920; rev. 1912-13)
- 6" O.S. map Surrey II.SW (1936; rev. 1933)
- 6" O.S. map Surrey II.SW (c. 1944; rev. 1933)
- 6" O.S. map London Sheet N (c. 1946; rev. 1938).
- Pub Wiki: Robin Hood, 29 Queen Street, Hammersmith. The text accompanying the photo puts the Robin Hood on the 'corner of Bridge road and Queen Street'. This should be Palace Road and Queen Street.