Robin Hood (Deptford)

From International Robin Hood Bibliography
Locality
Coordinate Near 51.472603, -0.025985
Adm. div. Kent, now Greater London
Vicinity Albyn Road
Type Public house
Interest Robin Hood name
Status Defunct
First Record 1861
Loading map...
Albyn Road, where there was a Robin Hood pub in the last half of the 19th century.
Albyn Road / Google Earth Street View.

By Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2020-05-21. Revised by Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2020-05-21.

The Robin Hood on the street now named Albyn Road in Deptford is in evidence from 1861 to 1891.

The original address was 15 Garden Row. This street name was in use by 1871 and still in 1881, but by 1891 the street had been renamed St Johns Road, which was already the name of a stretch of the same road immediately to the south. Sometime after 1938 the street was again renamed, this time to Albyn Road, a name it still retains.[1] Two public houses are indicated on the stretch of road in question. One, though anonymous on the maps, is easily identified as the still existing Prince Alfred at 44 Albyn Road, on the corner of Albyn Road and Oscar (formerly Francis) Street[2] The 1891 census suggests that the current street numbering system with odd and even numbers on separate sides of the road had then been introduced here, and it has the Robin Hood as the only household between 47 and 51 St Johns Road, so evidently its address was then 49 St Johns Road. With Prince Alfred at 44 Albyn Road on the west side of the road, the Robin Hood at No. 49 must have been on the east side. The 1891 census-taker covered Oscar Street before doing twenty addresses on St Johns (now Albyn) Road, and then proceeded with Friendly Street, so he seems to have been moving roughly north to south. The last stop before Friendly Street was the Shipwright's Arms,[3] which should therefore probably be identified with the 'P.H.' indicated on the corner of the present Albyn Road and Friendly Street on early 25" O.S. maps. If all this is right, the Robin Hood would have been situated on the east side of the present Albyn Road, somewhere between the Tanner's Hill and Friendly Street intersections. The coordinate listed in the infobox and indicated on the interactive map is about midway between these.

Gazetteers

Sources

Maps

Background

Also see

Notes