Robin Hood (Congleton)
|Vicinity||Buxton Road, Buglawton, Congleton|
|Interest||Robin Hood name|
By Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2013-08-07. Revised by Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2018-07-12.
According to a website on the Macclesfield Canal, this public house in Buglawton, Congleton, Cheshire, dates from the 18th century, but the first dated record I have found so far is a 6" O.S. map of the area published 1882, based on surveying done in 1871-73. On this and later maps listed below, the pub is labelled 'Robin Hood Inn' (see Maps section below). The pub is still in business.
- Not included in Dodgson, John McN.; Rumble, Alexander R. The Place-Names of Cheshire, pts. I-V (English Place-Name Society, vols. XLIV-XLVIII, LIV, LXXIV) (Cambridge, 1970-72; [s.l.], 1981; Nottingham, 1997).
- 6" O.S. map Cheshire XLIII (1882; rev. 1871-73)
- 6" O.S. map Cheshire XLIII.SE (1899; rev. 1896-97)
- 6" O.S. map Cheshire XLIII.SE (1899; rev. 1896-97) (georeferenced)
- 6" O.S. map Cheshire XLIII.SE (1912; rev. 1907)
- 6" O.S. map Cheshire XLIII.SE (c. 1945; rev. 1938).
- See Pub website.