Jump to: navigation, search

Robin Hood (Clifton Reynes)

Locality
Coordinates 52.152214, -0.681992
Adm. div. Buckinghamshire
Vicinity In Clifton Reynes
Type Public house
Interest Robin Hood name
Status Extant
First Record 1839
A.k.a. Robin Hood & Little John; Robin Hood Inn
Loading map...
The Robin Hood.

By Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2013-08-07. Revised by Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2018-10-20.

The Robin Hood is a public house in Clifton Reynes. The pub dates all the way back to 1577, but it traded under the name of Carpenters Arms until at least as late as 1830. However, by 1839 it had become the Robin Hood, sometimes the Robin Hood & Little John. The excellent UK Pub History site lists information on publicans etc. for the years 1839 to 1935.[1] To this we can add Slater's Directory for 1850 in which the pub is listed as Robin Hood and Little John, the publican a Thomas Hobbs.[2] The earliest map reference known to IRHB is the 25" O.S. map of the area published in 1882 (see Maps section below).

As the village of Clifton Reynes is at the end of a cul-de-sac, the pub has sent its sign a good 350 metres east to an intersection where more travellers are likely to see it.

Gazetteers

Sources

Maps

Also see

Notes

Image gallery

Click any image to display it in the lightbox, where you can navigate between images by clicking in the right or left side of the current image.