Robin Hood (Cherry Hinton)
|Vicinity||1 Fulbourn Road, Cherry Hinton, 4 km SE of Cambridge|
|Interest||Robin Hood name|
|A.k.a.||Robin Hood and Little John|
By Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2013-08-07.Revised by Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2018-07-12.
The Robin Hood in Cherry Hinton is an old pub. The first notice I have so far found of it is a reply to a query regarding 'Poetical Tavern Signs' in Notes & Queries in April 1854, where a P.J.F. Gantillon notes that "The Robin Hood inscription is found, with a very little variation, in front of a public-house at Cherryhinton [sic], at the corner of the road to Fulbourn [...]". The type of inscription Gantillon has in mind is exemplified by this one from Castleton near Whitby:
To gentlemen and yeomen good,
Come in and drink with Robin Hood;
If Robin Hood is not at home,
Come in and drink with Little John.
The original building, a thatched cottage, was demolished in 1960 or earlier and replaced by the present building, at which time the establishment was given the name Robin Hood & Little John, which it retained as late as November 2007. Subsequently the name has been changed to the Robin Hood. The pub is owned by Greene King Brewing and Retailing Limited. Across the street is a park with a pool known, inter alia, as Robin Hood Dip, a name which it presumably owes to its proximity to the pub.
[...] the original public house [...] was an extended thatched cottage. This was later demolished, and by 1960 the present building was reopened as the Robin Hood and Little John pub.
Sarsen stone about 1 metre across in car park of Robin Hood & Little John pub. 'Footprint' mark embedded into it, some say possibly carved.
- Friends of Cherry Hinton Hall: Giants Grave
- Gantillon, P.J.F. 'Poetical Tavern Signs', Notes & Queries, Series 1, vol. IX (1854), p. 331
- Eating Inn: The Robin Hood
- Hidden East Anglia - The Stone Index.
- 6" O.S. map Cambridgeshire XLVII.NE (1888; surveyed 1886)
- 6" O.S. map Cambridgeshire XLVII.NE (1904; rev. 1901)
- 6" O.S. map Cambridgeshire XLVII.NE (1904; rev. 1901) (georeferenced)
- 6" O.S. map Cambridgeshire XLVII.NE (1927; rev. 1925)
- 6" O.S. map Cambridgeshire XLVII.NE (c. 1945; rev. 1938)
- 6" O.S. map Cambridgeshire XLVII.NE (1952; rev. 1950).
- Cherry Hinton place-name cluster
- Places named after Little John
- Hazel Grove place-name cluster
- Public houses named after Robin Hood.
Click any image to display it in the lightbox, where you can navigate between images by clicking in the right or left side of the current image.
The pub was still named Robin Hood & Little John as of Nov. 11, 2007 / Keith Edkins, Creative Commons via Geograph.
The pub is now called the Robin Hood / Eating Inn.