Robin Hood (Camberwell)
|Coordinate||Near 51.469901, -0.097908|
|Adm. div.||Surrey, now Greater London|
|Vicinity||49 Kenbury Street, N of Coldharbour Lane, Camberwell|
|Interest||Robin Hood name|
|A.k.a.||Robin Hood and Little John|
By Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2020-05-03. Revised by Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2021-01-07.
The Robin Hood in Newbury Street, Camberwell, London, was in business by 1853 and until 1961 if not later. It was also known as 'Robin Hood and Little John'.
UK Pub History Provides a good deal of licensee information for the years 1853-1944, noting that by 1919, the name cited in the directories and records tends to be 'Robin Hood and Little John'. It also notes '[a]ddress change about 1905 to 49 Kenbury Street from 49 Denmark Street'. While the latter is not incorrect, it is likely to mislead. The pub did not move. As suggested by a couple of the records cited at UK Pub History and as can be seen in those of the maps listed below dating from the 19th century, the present Kenbury Street was then named Denmark Street. The change of name may have been decided to avoid confusion with the next street to the east, Denmark Road. London Pubology incorrectly notes in its entry of this pub, listed under Kenbury Street, that '[t]his street no longer exists'.
- Not included in Dobson, R. B., ed.; Taylor, J., ed. Rymes of Robyn Hood: an Introduction to the English Outlaw (London, 1976), pp. 293-311.
- London Pubology: Robin Hood and Little John
- UK Pub History: Robin Hood, 49 Kenbury Street, Camberwell SE5. Also see UK Pub History pages: London 1874 Licensed Victuallers and Hotel Keepers Directory - London South R; London (South) 1896 Suburban Publicans directory listing - R; London, UK 1904 Suburban Publicans directory listing - R; Lambeth 1911 Census Summary - Pubs history; London, UK 1911 Suburban directory listing - R; London, UK 1919 Suburban directory listing - R; London and Suburbs pubs in 1921 - Hughes directory listing - Ro; The London Public Houses in the 1938 Post Office Directory - R; London Pubs directory in 1944 - Camberwell SE5.
- Edward Stanford's Library Map of London, published 1862-71, Herne Hill section.
- 25" O.S. map London (1877; surveyed 1871)
- 25" O.S. map London (1915- Numbered sheets) IX.6 (1916, rev. 1913) (georeferenced)
- 25" O.S. map London (1916; rev. 1913)
- 6" O.S. map Surrey III (1880; surveyed 1868-1873)
- 6" O.S. map London XI.NW (1894 to 1896; rev. 1893-1894)
- 6" O.S. map Surrey III.SW (1898, rev. 1893 to 1895) (georeferenced)
- 6" O.S. map Surrey III.SW (1898; rev. 1893-1895)
- 6" O.S. map London Sheet O (1920; rev. 1913-1914)
- 6" O.S. map London Sheet O (c. 1946; rev. 1938)
- 6" O.S. map Middlesex XXII (1879; surveyed 1868-1871).
- Camberwell place-name cluster
- Public houses named after Robin Hood
- Places named after Little John
- Public houses named after Robin Hood.