Robin Hood (Burslem) (1)
|Vicinity||Formerly 13 Wood Street, now Card Street or Anna Walk, Burslem|
|Interest||Robin Hood name|
By Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2020-11-02. Revised by Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2021-01-07.
A pub named the Robin Hood existed on 13 Wood Street, Burslem, at least from 1861 to 1940.
Pub Wiki lists information on the publican etc. for 1940 only. However, according to a modern index of street names in the 1861 census, one census entry has 'Robin Hood Inn Barnfield' in lieu of a street name. IRHB has not been able to locate this entry at The Genealogist, but it is entirely possible that the site does not retain the full census record. One entry for 'Barnfield' in the 1861 census is listed there between Lower Street and Wood Street. Wood Street, which ran southwest from Commercial Street, was renamed 'Card Street' in the early 1950s. Then or at some later time most of the street was turned into the pedestrian Anna Walk, only the first c. 40 metres southwest of Commercial Street remaining as a street. It is not clear if the modern address of the pub site would be Card Street or Anna Walk. The latter seems most likely. About 180 metres SSE of Anna Walk (formerly Wood Street) we find Barnfield Road. Evidently, therefore, an area or locality in this neighbourhood was known as Barnfield, hence 'Robin Hood Inn Barnfield', located near Wood Street, is almost certainly identical with that later listed at Wood Street (now Card Street or Anna Walk).
- Not included in Dobson, R. B., ed.; Taylor, J., ed. Rymes of Robyn Hood: an Introduction to the English Outlaw (London, 1976), pp. 293-311.
- 25" O.S. map Staffordshire XII.9 (c. 1881; rev. 1865–77)
- 25" O.S. map Staffordshire XII.9 (1899; rev. 1898) (georeferenced)
- 25" O.S. map Staffordshire XII.9 (1899; rev. 1898)
- 25" O.S. map Staffordshire XII.9 (1925; rev. 1922)
- 25" O.S. map Staffordshire XII.9 (1941; rev. 1937–38)
- 6" O.S. map Staffordshire XII.SW (1889; surveyed 1866–78)
- 6" O.S. map Staffordshire XII.SW (1900; rev. 1898) (georeferenced)
- 6" O.S. map Staffordshire XII.SW (1900; rev. 1898)
- 6" O.S. map Staffordshire XII.SW (1926; rev. 1922)
- 6" O.S. map Staffordshire XII.SW (c. 1947; rev. 1938)
- 6" O.S. map Staffordshire XII.SW (1951; rev. 1945–46).
- The Genealogist, Pierce 01929, Image 00084.
- Stoke-on-Trent Streets: Renaming of Streets in the early 1950's.