Robin Hood (Brierley Hill)
|Vicinity||Merry Hill; immediately W of Pedmore Road (A4036); adjacent to Brierley Hill Shopping Centre|
|Interest||Robin Hood name|
|A.k.a.||Robin Hood Inn|
By Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2020-10-23. Revised by Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2021-01-07.
The Robin Hood in Brierley Hill was situated on the west side of Pedmore Road (A4036; Merry Hill) at a currently unoccupied plot between the latter road and an unnamed road snaking roughly north–south past Brierley Hill Shopping Centre.
The site of the pub straddles a footpath, oriented NW–SE, which connects those streets. The now demolished pub is included in O.S. maps dating from 1884 to 1947 (see below). It was still in business in 2003. There was a concert room at the back of the pub. No doubt the long-defunct New Robin Hood Colliery on the east side of Pedmore Road was named after the pub. So also were presumably, directly or indirectly, several other localities in Brierley Hill. See Brierley Hill place-name cluster. The black and white photo of the pub uploaded to Geograph by Brian Clift is dated 1 June 1975, but the same photo uploaded to Flickr, probably also by the photographer himself, is dated 1967.
- Not included in Dobson, R. B., ed.; Taylor, J., ed. Rymes of Robyn Hood: an Introduction to the English Outlaw (London, 1976), pp. 293-311.
- 25" O.S. map Staffordshire LXXI.7 (1884; surveyed 1881–82)
- 25" O.S. map Worcestershire IV.7 (1903; rev. 1901) (georeferenced)
- 25" O.S. map Worcestershire IV.7 (1903; rev. 1901)
- 25" O.S. map Staffordshire LXXI.7 (1920; rev. 1914)
- 25" O.S. map Staffordshire LXXI.7 (1947; rev. 1939)
- 6" O.S. map Worcestershire IV.NE (1887; surveyed 1881–82)
- 6" O.S. map Staffordshire LXXI.NE (1904; rev. 1901) (georeferenced)
- 6" O.S. map Staffordshire LXXI.NE (1904; rev. 1901)
- 6" O.S. map Staffordshire LXXI (1921; rev. 1914)
- 6" O.S. map Staffordshire LXXI.NE (1921; rev. 1914)
- 6" O.S. map Staffordshire LXXI.NE (c. 1946; rev. 1938).
Click any image to display it in the lightbox, where you can navigate between images by clicking in the right or left side of the current image.
The Robin Hood, Merry Hill / Brian Clift, 1 June 1975; Creative Commons, via Geograph.