Robin Hood (Bridport)

From International Robin Hood Bibliography
Coordinate 50.732086, -2.756161
Adm. div. Dorset
Vicinity On the corner of King Street and Folly Mill Lane, Bridport
Type Public house
Interest Robin Hood name
Status Extant
First Record 1939
Loading map...
The former Robin Hood.
The Robin Hood Inn is now a private residence / John Stephen, Creative Commons, via Geograph.

By Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2017-06-13. Revised by Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2021-01-05.

The Robin Hood Inn in Bridport closed in 1961, but the name is still used locally to refer to the building, which became a private residence shortly after the pub closed.[1]

A.D. Mills in the English Place-Name Society's fourth volume on Dorset cites Kelly's Directory of 1939 as source and also, oddly enough, refers to a typescript calendar of records of Bridport for mention of a Robin Hood ale in a 1555 record.[2] It would have been somewhat remarkable if there had been any direct causal relationship between a feast arranged to bolster parish funds in 1555 and the existence of a public house first recorded in 1939, and there is in fact no reason to think that this was the case. Mills, writing in 2010, might have turned to the Records of Early English Drama volume on Dorset, published in 1999, to see this record in proper context (see Bridport festivals).

While the Robin Hood may have served its first customers a couple of decades before it was listed in the 1939 directory, it would be surprising if it was much older than WWI. None of the trade directories listed in the Background section below mentions it. It is also not indicated on any of the 6" O.S. maps listed below (see Maps section), but this is hardly surprising as they usually do not label inns and other establishments situated in towns and cities.





Also see