Jump to: navigation, search

Robin Hood (Brentwood)

Locality
Coordinates 51.628295, 0.294814
Adm. div. Essex
Vicinity Ongar Road/Robin Hood Road intersection, Brentwood
Type Public house
Interest Robin Hood name
Status Defunct
First Record 1777
A.k.a. Robin Hood & Little John; Robin
Loading map...
The public house formerly known as the Robin Hood; now the Robin.
The Robin Hood is indicated just north of Brentwood / From superb scan of entire map at Biblioteca Virtual del Patrimoni Bibliogràfico (click to enlarge).
The Robin Hood has lost the Hood and is now the robin sans capitals / Google Earth Street View.

By Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2016-06-26. Revised by Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2018-07-16.

On Chapman & André's 1777 map of Essex (see Maps section and detail of map below), the Robin Hood, a public house, is indicated just north of Brentwood by the side of a road now named Ongar Road. There was an advertisement for the pub in the Chelmsford Chronicle for 20 Jan.[1] On a 6" O.S. map of the area based on surveying carried out in 1866, the pub is indicated as "Robin Hood", while on an O.S. 6" map based on surveying done in 1895 the pub appears as "Robin Hood & Little John" (see Maps section below). That was also the form of the name displayed on its sign in 1887 according to Miller Christy.[1] The pub is still there but is now named the Robin (the feathered kind). In the meantime it has bequeathed its former name to adjacent Robin Hood Road. Information on publicans gleaned from trade directories etc. from the period 1828–1937 can be found at UK Pub History (see Sources below).

Gazetteers

Sources

Maps

Also see

Notes

Image gallery

Click any image to display it in the lightbox, where you can navigate between images by clicking in the right or left side of the current image.