Robin Hood's Pound (Sutton)
|Adm. div.||Surrey, now Greater London|
|Vicinity||In or near Sutton|
|Interest||Robin Hood name|
By Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2014-07-25. Revised by Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2021-01-07.
According to the 1900 quotation below, the locals formerly called the pound (for impounding stray cattle, sheep etc.) in Sutton "Robin Hood's Pound". Or was the writer just being 'facetious'?
[1900:] The village pound [in Sutton] was known as "Robin Hood's Pound" by countrymen who were followers of the practices of this outlaw. Nicholas, vicar of Sutton in 9 Henry IV. [1407-1408] broke into the pound, and took therefrom thirteen sheep which had been impounded for trespass. In 12 Henry IV. [1411-12], the same vicar assaulted (fecit recussum) the bailiff and William Joye, who had seized his horses and cows to place them within the pinfold. John Harineles, chaplain of Sutton, broke into the pound to release his horse, 2 Henry V. [1414-15]
- Not included in Dobson, R. B., ed.; Taylor, J., ed. Rymes of Robyn Hood: an Introduction to the English Outlaw (London, 1976), pp. 293-311.
- Redstone, Vincent Burrough. 'The Sandling', Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archæology and Natural History, vol. X (1900), pp. 56-96; see p. 65.