Robin Hood's Oak (White Colne)
|Vicinity||On Colneford Hill, White Colne, c. 13 km NW of Colchester|
|Interest||Robin Hood name|
By Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2013-08-07. Revised by Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2021-01-05.
First recorded in 1574, Robin Hood's Oak stood on Colneford Hill, where the road now known as the A1124 enters White Colne. It may indeed "have been associated with tales of the outlaw", but it seems just as likely that it owed its name to being used as a venue for Robin Hood festivals or a stopping point for a procession connected with such a festival.
- Hidden East Anglia - Gospel Oaks & Other Notable Trees, referring to British History Online (accessed 2013.05.24).
- Bodleian Library MS. Rolls Essex 5. Cf. British History Online (see below). Not seen.
- British History Online: Earls Colne Introduction; web edition of: 'Earls Colne: Introduction', in: A History of the County of Essex, vol. 10: Lexden Hundred (Part) including Dedham, Earls Colne and Wivenhoe (2001), pp. 86-92.