Proverb studies and criticism
From International Robin Hood Bibliography
By Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2013-07-17. Revised by Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2015-07-26.
- Knight, Stephen. Robin Hood: A Complete Study of the English Outlaw (Oxford, UK; Cambridge, Massachusetts: Blackwell, 1994), pp. 10, 59-60. Excellent brief discussions.
- Heywood, John; Farmer, John S, ed. A Dialogue of the Effectual Proverbs in the English Tongue concerning Marriage (London, 1906), p. 191. In his 'Note-Book and Word-List', the editor briefly discusses Robin Hood proverbs, citing half a dozen examples.
- Halliwell, James Orchard, compil. A Dictionary of Archaic and Provincial Words, Obsolete Phrases, Proverbs, and Ancient Customs, from the Fourteenth Century (London, 1847) (and editions of 1850, 1852, 1852, 1855, 1860, 1865, 1869, 1872, 1874, 1881, 1889, 1904, 1970, 1973), vol. II, pp. 688-89 s.n. Robin Hood.
- Gilchrist, R. Murray. The Dukeries (London, Glasgow and Bombay, 1913), p. 24.
- Turner, J. Horsfall. The History of Brighouse, Rastrick, and Hipperholme; with Manorial Notes on Coley, Lightcliffe, Northowram, Shelf, Fixby, Clifton and Kirklees (Bingley, Yorkshire, 1893), p. 203.