Plumpton Park Moss (Tarleton)
|Vicinity||On E side of Johnson's Meanygate, c. 350 m N of Gorse Lane, Tarleton|
By Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2021-01-26. Revised by Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2021-02-12.
In 1845, a plot of arable land in Tarleton was known as Plumpton Park Moss. It was situated on the east side of Johnson's Meanygate, c. 350 m north of Gorse Lane.
'Plumpton Park' is the name in the Gest of Robyn Hode of an area in Wyresdale, where King Edward discovers to his chagrin that Robin Hood has severely depleted the stock of deer. This Plumpton Park is thus not identical with that in Tarleton, but since various other localities than that in Wyresdale have been suggested as the intended locale, IRHB considers it of some interest to compile as full a list as possible of localities with this name.
The field name occurs in the 1845 tithe award for the parish of Tarleton, where the landowners are recorded as Sir Thomas Hesketh and George Anthony Legh Keck, the occupier as George Dandy, its area as 3 acres and 24 perches (12747.6 m2), and the state of cultivation as arable.
The contours of the field are indicated on the earlier of the 25 and 6" O.S. maps of the area listed below. See the adapted map detail in the image gallery below, where the field is coloured maroon.
- Not included in Dobson, R. B., ed.; Taylor, J., ed. Rymes of Robyn Hood: an Introduction to the English Outlaw (London, 1976), pp. 293-311.
- 1845 tithe award for Ryhill parish, online at the Genealogist, piece 18, sub-piece 299, image 082, #1672 (£)
- accompanying map, online at the Genealogist, piece 18, sub-piece 299, sub-image 001 (£).
- 25" O.S. map Lancashire LXXVI.2 (c. 1894; surveyed c. 1892). No copy in NLS
- 25" O.S. map Lancashire LXXI.8 (1911; rev. 1909) (georeferenced)
- 25" O.S. map Lancashire LXXVI.2 (1911; rev. 1908)
- 25" O.S. map Lancashire LXXVI.2 (1928; rev. 1927)
- 6" O.S. map Lancashire LXXVI (1847; surveyed 1845–46)
- 6" O.S. map Lancashire LXXVI.NW (1894; surveyed 1893)
- 6" O.S. map Lancashire LXXVI.NW (1912; rev. 1908–09) (georeferenced)
- 6" O.S. map Lancashire LXXVI.NW (1912; rev. 1908–09)
- 6" O.S. map Lancashire LXXVI.NW (1929; rev. 1926–27)
- 6" O.S. map Lancashire LXXVI.NW (c. 1933; rev. 1926–27)
- 6" O.S. map Lancashire LXXVI.NW (1950; rev. 1938).
Click any image to display it in the lightbox, where you can navigate between images by clicking in the right or left side of the current image.
Plumpton Park Moss indicated in maroon / Detail of 25" O.S. map Lancashire LXXVI.2 (1911; rev. 1908); reprod. with perm. of NLS; under Creative Commons Attrib. (CC-BY) license; adapt. Henrik Thiil Nielsen.