Plumpton Park (Westby-with-Plumptons)
|Vicinity||c. 850 m E of Little Plumpton; on S side of Preston New Road (A583) and W side of Fox Lane Ends (B5260)|
By Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2021-01-30. Revised by Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2021-02-16.
In 1839, a plot of pasture situated, in modern terms immediately south of the buildings of Mere Farm, south of Preston New Road (A583) and west of Fox Lane Ends (B5260), was known as Plumpton Park. This area is c. 850 m east of Little Plumpton in the township of Westby-with-Plumptons.
'Plumpton Park' is the name in the Gest of Robyn Hode of an area in Wyresdale, where King Edward discovers to his chagrin that Robin Hood has severely depleted the stock of deer. This Plumpton Park is hardly identical with the close near Westby, but since various other localities than that in Wyresdale have been suggested as the intended locale, IRHB considers it of some interest to compile as full a list as possible of localities with this name. That the township in which the present Plumpton Park was (is?) situated is named Westby-with-Plumptons is due to its comprising, in addition to Westby, both a Great and a Little Plumpton. One of the two hamlets named Plumpton figures in Domesday Book as 'Pluntun'. The township is situated roughly 10 km west of Woodplumpton.
The field name occurs in the 1839 tithe award for the township, the landowner being recorded as Thomas Clifton, Esq., the occupier as James Wilcock, its area as 2 acres, 1 rood and 33 perches (9940.09 m2), and the state of cultivation as pasture. The contours of the field are indicated on the early O.S. maps listed below. See the adapted map detail in the image gallery below, where Plumpton Park is coloured maroon.
- Not included in Dobson, R. B., ed.; Taylor, J., ed. Rymes of Robyn Hood: an Introduction to the English Outlaw (London, 1976), pp. 293-311.
- 1839 tithe award for the 'Township of Westby with Plumpton in the Parish of Kirkham', online at the Genealogist, piece 18, sub-piece 330, image 016, #722 (£)
- accompanying map, online at the Genealogist, piece 18, sub-piece 330, sub-image 001 (£).
- 25" O.S. map Lancashire LIX.4 (surveyed 1891; 1893)
- 25" O.S. map Lancashire XLVI.14 (1912; rev. 1910) (georeferenced)
- 25" O.S. map Lancashire LIX.4 (rev. 1909; 1911)
- 25" O.S. map Lancashire LIX.4 (rev. 1930; 1932)
- 6" O.S. map Lancashire LIX (surveyed 1844; 1847)
- 6" O.S. map Lancashire LIX.NE (surveyed 1891–92; 1894)
- 6" O.S. map Lancashire LIX.NE (rev. 1909; 1912)
- 6" O.S. map Lancashire LIX.NE (1912; rev. 1909) (georeferenced)
- 6" O.S. map Lancashire LIX.NE (rev. 1930; 1933)
- 6" O.S. map Lancashire LIX.NE (rev. 1938; 1947).
Click any image to display it in the lightbox, where you can navigate between images by clicking in the right or left side of the current image.