Plumpton Park (Knotts)
|Adm. div.||West Riding of Yorkshire|
|Vicinity||1.7 km WSW of Knotts, 400 m N of Champion; c. 5 km E of Slaidburn|
By Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2020-04-28. Revised by Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2021-02-11.
A close located c. 1.7 km WSW of Knotts, 400 m N of Champion, and c. 5 km E of Slaidburn, was known as Plumpton Park in 1846. This is also the name in the Gest of Robyn Hode of an area – probably near the home of the knight Sir Richard at the Lee – where King Edward discovers to his chagrin that Robin Hood has severely depleted the stock of deer. Though this latter Plumpton Park is most probably to be thought of as the locality in Lancashire, this is not entirely certain, and it seems best, therefore, to record all occurrences of the name.
The field name occurs in the tithe award for the "[t]ownship of Grindleton within that part of the Parish of Mitton which is in the West Riding of the County of York", where its owner and occupier is recorded as Thomas Pickover, its area as 2 acres, 2 roods and 21 perches (10648.29 m2).
- Not included in Dobson, R. B., ed.; Taylor, J., ed. Rymes of Robyn Hood: an Introduction to the English Outlaw (London, 1976), pp. 293-311.
- 1846 tithe award for "Township of Grindleton within that part of the Parish of Mitton which is in the West Riding of the County of York", online at the Genealogist, piece 43, sub-piece 183, image 140 (£)
- accompanying map, online at the Genealogist, piece 43, sub-piece 183, sub-image 002 (£).
- 25" O.S. map Yorkshire CLXV.3 (1894; surveyed 1893)
- 25" O.S. map Yorkshire CLXV.3 (1908, rev. 1907)] (georeferenced)
- 25" O.S. map Yorkshire CLXV.3 (1908; rev. 1907)
- 6" O.S. map Yorkshire 165 (1850; surveyed 1847)
- 6" O.S. map Yorkshire CLXV (1896; surveyed 1892-1893)
- 6" O.S. map Yorkshire CLXV.NE (1910, rev. 1907) (georeferenced)
- 6" O.S. map Yorkshire CLXV.NE (1910; rev. 1907).
Click any image to display it in the lightbox, where you can navigate between images by clicking in the right or left side of the current image.
Photo taken c. 75 m NW of the close formerly known as Plumpton Park. The camera was looking NW, i.e. away from 'Plumpton Park', but this is as close as we get / Chris Heaton, 18 Apr. 2014, Creative Commons.