Plumpton Park (Kirkbymoorside)
|Adm. div.||North Riding of Yorkshire|
|Vicinity||E side of Gillamoor Road, c. 100 m NNW of Keld Head Road; N outskirts of Kirkbymoorside|
By Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2020-08-28. Revised by Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2021-02-11.
In the Gest, King Edward is exasperated at noticing the scarcity of deer in Plumpton Park after Robin and his men have been poaching there during their stay with the knight. We should almost certainly take this to be in Lancashire, but it is perhaps worth noting that Plumpton Park occurs as a field name in Kirkbymoorside, North Yorkshire, formerly the North Riding of Yorkshire. The source is an 1847 tithe award. In present-day terms. the site is situated on the east side of Gillamoor Road, c. 100 m NNW of Keld Head Road, in the northern outskirts of Kirkbymoorside.
In the tithe award for the township of Kirkbymoorside in the parish of Kirkbymoorside, drawn up in 1847, Plumpton Park is listed as arable land with an area of 7 perches (177.05 m2). Its owner/occupier was a John Richardson, shoemaker.
[Gest; c. 1500:]
All the passe of Lancasshyre
He went both ferre and nere
Tyll he came to Plomton Parke
He faylyd many of his dere.
- Not included in Dobson, R. B., ed.; Taylor, J., ed. Rymes of Robyn Hood: an Introduction to the English Outlaw (London, 1976), pp. 293-311.
- The Genealogist, Piece 042, Sub-Piece 208, Sub-Image 167, Plot 578; 1847 Kirkbymoorside tithe award (£)
- The Genealogist, Piece 042, Sub-Piece 208, Sub-Image 001, colour, Plot 578; 1847 Kirkbymoorside tithe award map (£).
- 25" O.S. map Yorkshire LXXIV.14 (1912; rev. 1910) (georeferenced)
- 25" O.S. map Yorkshire LXXIV.14 (1912; rev. 1910)
- 25" O.S. map Yorkshire LXXIV.14 (1893; surveyed 1891)
- 6" O.S. map Yorkshire 74 (1856; surveyed 1848–53)
- 6" O.S. map Yorkshire LXXIV.SW (1895; surveyed 1891).
- 6" O.S. map Yorkshire LXXIV (1895; surveyed 1893). Not online
- 6" O.S. map Yorkshire LXXIV.SW (1914; rev. 1910) (georeferenced)
- 6" O.S. map Yorkshire LXXIV.SW (1914; rev. 1910).
Click any image to display it in the lightbox, where you can navigate between images by clicking in the right or left side of the current image.
'Snow in Manor Vale'; photo taken immediately north of the former Plumpton Park / T. Eyre, 5 Feb. 2012, Creative Commons, via Geograph.
'Path into Spring Wood'; this area was part of or adjacent to Plumpton Park / Pauline E., 10 Apr. 2011, Creative Commons, via Geograph.
The small gray area near the centre approximately indicates the size, shape and location of Plumpton Park in 1847 / Reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland; Creative Commons. Adapted by Henrik Thiil Nielsen.