Plumpton Park (Barlow, Selby)

From International Robin Hood Bibliography
Locality
Coordinate Near 53.766414, -1.044304
Adm. div. West Riding of Yorkshire
Vicinity c. 500 m SE of Selby
Type Area
Interest Literary locale
Status Defunct
First Record c. 1500
Loading map...
Plumpton Park would have been located not very far from the point indicated.
Barlow Grange, north or west of which was a locality known as Plumpton Park in the late 18th century / Google Earth Street View.

By Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2013-07-18. Revised by Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2021-05-31.

In the Gest, King Edward is exasperated at noticing the scarcity of deer in Plumpton Park after Robin and his men have been poaching there during their stay with the knight. We should almost certainly take this to be in Lancashire, but it could just possibly be some place King Edward is meant to have visited after his progress in Lancashire.

A 'Plumpton Park' is indicated on Jeffery's 1772 Map of Yorkshire in an area c. 500 southeast of Selby, slightly north or west of Barlow Grange. The map has it south of 'Old Carr Wood', north of 'Brackenhill and 'Botany Bay Inn'.[1] The name may have applied to much of the area now bounded by the A63 on the north, East Common Lane to the east, Thief Lane to the south, and the A1041 to the west. A. H. Smith notes the place-name, citing an 1841 Ordnance Survey map as his source.[2] IRHB has found no entry relating to this Plumpton Park in the tithe awards for Barlow, Burn, Drax or Selby.

Quotations

[Gest; c. 1500:]
All the passe of Lancasshyre
went both ferre and nere
Tyll he came to Plomton Parke
He faylyd many of his dere.[3]

Maps

Sources

Also see


Notes

Image gallery

Click any image to display it in the lightbox, where you can navigate between images by clicking in the right or left side of the current image.