Plumpton Park (Baddington)

From International Robin Hood Bibliography
Locality
Coordinate Near 53.051399, -2.525177
Adm. div. Cheshire
Vicinity SW side of Coole Lane, SE of Shrewbridge Road; immediately S of Nantwich
Type Area
Interest Miscellaneous
Status Defunct?
First Record 1841
Loading map...
(The former?) Plumpton Park.
(The former?) Plumpton Park is just behind the hedge / Google Earth Street View.

By Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2013-07-18. Revised by Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2021-03-02.

In the Gest, King Edward is exasperated at noticing the scarcity of deer in Plumpton Park after Robin and his men have been poaching there during their stay with the knight. We should almost certainly take this to be in Lancashire, but it could just possibly be some place King Edward is meant to have visited after his progress in Lancashire. As Cheshire is a neighbouring county it is conceivable that a Plumpton Park in that county may have been intended.

J. M. Dodgson in the English Place-Name Society's third volume on Chester, notes a 'Plumpton Park' near Shrewbridge House,[1] slightly south of Nantwich. His source is the 1841 tithe award for the township of Baddington in the parish of Aston,[2] in which the plot is listed as No. 8, with the Right Honorable Francis Jack Kilmorey as landowner, Peter Cornes as occupier, 'Meadow' as state of cultivation, and an area of 3 acres and 34 perches (13000.53 m2). Turning southeast from Shrewbridge Road, one has a c. 250 metres long field on one's right (southwest); a c. 55 metres wide strip of this field along the lane was a separate plot known as Plumpton Park in the mid-19th century. See adapted map detail included in the image gallery below.

Quotations

[Gest; c. 1500:]
All the passe of Lancasshyre
went both ferre and nere
Tyll he came to Plomton Parke
He faylyd many of his dere.[3]

Gazetteers

MS sources

  • 1841 tithe award for the township of Baddington in the parish of Aston, online at the Genealogist, piece 05, sub-piece 033, image 007, #8 (£)
  • accompanying map, online at the Genealogist, piece 05, sub-piece 033, sub-image 001, #8 (£).

Printed sources

Maps

Also see

Notes

  1. Dodgson, John McN.; Rumble, Alexander R. The Place-Names of Cheshire, pts. I-V (English Place-Name Society, vols. XLIV-XLVIII, LIV, LXXIV) (Cambridge, 1970-72; [s.l.], 1981; Nottingham, 1997), vol. III, p. 132.
  2. 1841 tithe award for the township of Baddington in the parish of Aston, online at the Genealogist, piece 05, sub-piece 033, image 007, #8 (£); accompanying map, online at the Genealogist, piece 05, sub-piece 033, sub-image 001, #8 (£).
  3. Gest, st. 357.


Image gallery

Click any image to display it in the lightbox, where you can navigate between images by clicking in the right or left side of the current image.