Pinders Fields (Wakefield)
|Adm. div.||West Riding of Yorkshire|
|Vicinity||c. 1.75 km NE of Wakefield city centre|
By Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2013-06-19. Revised by Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2019-04-05.
About a mile NE of Wakefield city centre lay an area known in 1709 as Pinderfield, in 1793 as Pindar Cross & Middle Field, and in 1822 as Pinder's Field. The name survives in Pinderfields Road and Pinderfield General Hospital. This area has often been connected with the famous Pinder of Wakefield, for which see The Jolly Pinder of Wakefield (Child 124). However, according to A.H. Smith, there was a pinfold at the end of Westgate, and it was this that the "Jolly Pindar" would have used for impounding stray cattle, pigs etc.
- Smith, A.H. The Place-Names of the West Riding of Yorkshire (English Place-Name Society, vols. XXX-XXXVII) (Cambridge, 1961-63), pt. II, p. 168.