Marian Lodge (Little Gaddesden)
|Vicinity||Nettleden Road, Little Gaddesden, Berkhamstead|
|Interest||Robin Hood name|
By Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2017-09-22. Revised by Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2018-07-18.
At best, Marian Lodge in Little Gaddesden has a tenuous link with the Robin Hood tradition, for it owes its name to the fact that it was "built by Lady Marian Alford" in the 1870s (see 1908 quortation below). It is unclear whether the name was also to some extent inspired by the proximity to the Robin Hood House in Little Gaddesden, but with the latter located just 2 km SE of the lodge many who did not know the history of the lodge must have seen the two names as connected.
Though the lodge was built in the 1870's, it is not clear if it was named Marian Lodge from the beginning. The postcard shown below, post-marked 1905, is therefore the earliest record I know of so far.
Following the high road north from Hemel Hempstead may be seen near the beginning of the village Robin Hood House, a large old house of timber and stucco. It was once the Robin Hood village public-house, but has been greatly added to, and is now the residence of Mr. Alexander Murray-Smith.
Further again is Marian Lodge, built by Lady Marian Alford some thirty years ago. It is now tenanted by Mrs. Denison, under whose care soft cloth is woven, some of which is sent yearly to the queen.
- Not included in Dobson, R.B., ed.; Taylor, J., ed. Rymes of Robyn Hood: an Introduction to the English Outlaw (London, 1976), pp. 293-311.
- Page, William, ed. The Victoria History of Hertfordshire. Vol. II (The Victoria History of the Counties of England) (London, 1908), p. 144. Web version a British History Online.
- 6" O.S. map Hertfordshire XXVI (1883-84; surveyed 1877-78)
- 6" O.S. map Buckinghamshire XXX (1884; surveyed 1877-79)
- 6" O.S. map Hertfordshire XXVI (1899; surveyed 1897)
- 6" O.S. map Buckinghamshire XXX.Se (1900; rev. 1897-98)
- 6" O.S. map Bedfordshire XXXIV.SW (1901; rev. 1900)
- 6" O.S. map Bedfordshire XXXIV.SW (1901; rev. 1900) (georeferenced)
- 6" O.S. map Bedfordshire XXXIV.SW (1925; rev. 1922)
- 6" O.S. map Buckinghamshire XXX.SE (1928; rev. 1928)
- 6" O.S. map Bedfordshire XXXIV.SW (c. 1948; rev. 1928)
- 6" O.S. map Buckinghamshire XXX.SE (c. 1950; rev. 1946)
- 6" O.S. map Bedfordshire XXXIV.SW (1950; rev. 1946).