Marian's Lodge (Forest of Dean)
|Vicinity||Brummels Drive, Christchurch, Coleford|
|Interest||Robin Hood name|
By Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2018-09-26. Revised by Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2018-10-19.
Marian's Lodge is a building in the part of the Forest of Dean known as Marian's Inclosure. It seems likely that it was named, at least indirectly, after Maid Marian.
Located in the northeastern end of Marian's Inclosure, near Berry Hill, Marian's Lodge can be accessed from Brummels Drive, Marian's Lane or Marian's Walk. Marian's Lodge, like Mailscot Lodge, situated in Mailscot Wood less than 2 km to the north, was a wood keepers's lodge. Also see Allusions below.
In or immediately outside Marian's Inclosure is Marian's Brick Works, located just 150 meters from Robin Hood Iron Mine with which it may have been connected. This suggests that Marian meant Maid Marian and that the other "Marian" names in the area were inspired by the name of the brickworks.The earliest mention of the place-name known to IRHB so far is an entry in the 1881 census or an O.S. map of the area published the same year (see Maps below).
Coleford is the rendezvous to-day, and we can gain it as we please — afoot, by cycle, or by railway through Parkend. Our friend the Instructor joins us there by train, together with a member of the class; seven more await us just by Marian's Lodge, a mile due north of Coleford by the road that leads through Berry Hill. Eight well-set-up intelligent young working-men in all, ranging in age from twenty to five-and-twenty. The school, when founded, admitted pupils of a younger age, but the results were not found satisfactory, and the limit has since been raised. [p. 135:]
Attached to Marian's Lodge, as to most other of the Forest lodges, is a nursery, and a short pause is made beside the fence while we inspect its infent occupants. Larches six inches high are growing somewhat brown and sickly from the long May drought. The class, being one for beginners, is invited to note the difference between the "green" and "blue" varieties of Douglas fir, and is enlightened as to the superior merits of the former tree. [... p. 136: ...]
From Marian's Lodge we have been following a course north-west, and now are skirting Bracelands, the lonely wood-embosomed residence of a Forest official.
- Not included in Dobson, R.B., ed.; Taylor, J., ed. Rymes of Robyn Hood: an Introduction to the English Outlaw (London, 1976), pp. 315-19.
- 25" O.S. map Gloucestershire XXX.16 (1881; surveyed 1877-79)
- 25" O.S. map Gloucestershire XXX.16 (1902; rev. 1900) (georeferenced).
- 25" O.S. map Gloucestershire XXX.16 (1902; rev. 1900)
- 25" O.S. map Gloucestershire XXX.16 (1922; rev. 1920)
- 6" O.S. map Gloucestershire XXX.SE (1884; surveyed 1878-80)
- 6" O.S. map Gloucestershire XXX.SE (1903; rev. 1900) (georeferenced).
- 6" O.S. map Gloucestershire XXX.SE (1903; rev. 1900)
- 6" O.S. map Monmouthshire XV (1924; rev. 1918)
- 6" O.S. map Gloucestershire XXX (1924; rev. 1920-21).
- Forest of Dean Forum: Thread "Richard SMITH English Bicknor 1841 census look-up request", see especially "Mailscot Lodge, Hillersland" (by "jefff") and following messages
- Wikipedia: Forest of Dean.
- Forest of Dean Forum: Thread "Richard SMITH English Bicknor 1841 census look-up request", see especially "Mailscot Lodge, Hillersland" (by "jefff") and following messages.
- Forest of Dean Forum: Thread "Henry Jones (Born Ca 1840) - Crown Woodman - Marion's Lodge".
- Cooke, Arthur O. The Forest of Dean (New York, 1913), pp. 134-36.