Maid Marian Pub (Chapel St Leonards)
|Vicinity||E side of S Road, Chapel St Leonards, few metres S of entrance to Robin Hood Camp (now Golden Palm Resort)|
|Interest||Robin Hood name|
|A.k.a.||Maid Marion; Maid Marrion|
By Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2019-05-16. Revised by Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2019-05-16.
On the east side of South Road in Chapel St Leonards is a Maid Marian Pub. It is situated a few metres south of the entrance to the Golden Palm Resort, which was formerly named the Robin Hood Camp.
Maid Marian is included in Google Maps Street View imagery dated 2009 (see image gallery below) and looks so young that she can hardly be several decades older than this. The pub is situated opposite Club Tropicana which was formerly the Maid Marion Club. Immediately north-west of the pub once stood a wooden booth or shed that was home to the Friar Tuck Shop.
- Not included in Dobson, R.B., ed.; Taylor, J., ed. Rymes of Robyn Hood: an Introduction to the English Outlaw (London, 1976), pp. 293-311.
Pub not labelled or indicated on maps.
- 25" O.S. map Lincolnshire LXXVI.7 (c. 1889; surveyed c. 1888). No Copy in NLS
- 25" O.S. map Lincolnshire LXXVI.7 (1906; rev. 1905) (georeferenced)
- 25" O.S. map Lincolnshire LXXVI.7 (1906; rev. 1905)
- 6" O.S. map Lincolnshire LXXVI.NE (1907; rev. 1905) (georeferenced)
- 6" O.S. map Lincolnshire LXXVI.NE (1888; surveyed 1888)
- 6" O.S. map Lincolnshire LXXVI.NE (1907; rev. 1905)
- 6" O.S. map Lincolnshire LXXVI.NE (c. 1948; rev. 1938)
- 6" O.S. map Lincolnshire LXXVI.NE (1951; rev. 1946).
Click any image to display it in the lightbox, where you can navigate between images by clicking in the right or left side of the current image.