Little Robin Hood Hay (Agden)

From International Robin Hood Bibliography
Locality
Coordinate 53.3644, -2.4172
Adm. div. Cheshire
Vicinity Straddling M56, c. 100 m W of Reddy Lane underpass; Agden in parish of Rostherne
Type Area
Interest Robin Hood name
Status Defunct?
First Record 1848
Loading map...
'Little Robin Hood Hay' was the name of a close covering an area now straddling the M56.
Little Robin Hood Hay would have straddled the M56 / Google Earth Street View.

By Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2021-02-27. Revised by Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2021-02-27.

Superimposed on a modern map, Little Robin Hood Hay in Agden, in the parish of Rostherne, Cheshire, would be seen to straddle the M56 about 100 to 200 metres (or more) West of the Reddy Lane underpass. The field name occurs in the 1848 tithe award for Agden.

'Little Robin Hood Hay' is listed there with Sir John Newdigate-Ludford-Chetwode, Baronet, as owner, Thomas Cross as occcupier, 'Arable' as state of cultivation, and an area of 2 acres, 5 roods and 17 perches (13582.26 m2).[1] It was situated at the northwest end of a larger, irregularly shaped meadow named Robin Hood Hay tout court. Both plots are roughly indicated on the adapted map detail included in the image gallery below, where we have inadvertently made Little Robin Hood Hay somewhat too large in relation to its larger neighbour. The fairly rectangular shape of the smaller plot and its position relative to Robin Hood Hay suggest that the latter field name applied to the entire meadow before part of it was enclosed and brought under cultivation under the name 'Little Robin Hood Hay'.

The English Place Name Society's survey of Cheshire mentions Robin Hood Hay but not Little Robin Hood Hay.[2] The lack of modern references on the web suggests that the field name is defunct.

Gazetteers

MS sources

  • 1848 tithe award for the township of Agden in the parish of Rostherne, online at the Genealogist, piece 05, sub-piece 006, image 004, #60 (£)
  • accompanying map, online at the Genealogist, piece 05, sub-piece 006, sub-image 001, #60 (£).

Maps

Background

Also see

Notes

  1. 1848 tithe award for the township of Agden in the parish of Rostherne, online at the Genealogist, piece 05, sub-piece 006, image 004, #60 (£); accompanying map, online at the Genealogist, piece 05, sub-piece 006, sub-image 001, #60 (£).
  2. Dodgson, John McN.; Rumble, Alexander R. The Place-Names of Cheshire, pts. I-V (English Place-Name Society, vols. XLIV-XLVIII, LIV, LXXIV) (Cambridge, 1970-72; [s.l.], 1981; Nottingham, 1997), vol. II, pp. 42, 43.


Image gallery

Click any image to display it in the lightbox, where you can navigate between images by clicking in the right or left side of the current image.