Jump to: navigation, search

Little Johns (Blackmore)

Locality
Coordinates 51.685, 0.3275
Adm. div. Essex
Vicinity Immediately west of Fryerning Wood
Type Area
Interest Robin Hood name
Status Defunct?
First Record 1845
Loading map...
Little Johns, Blackmore.
Little Johns, Blackmore (red outline), / Google Earth Street View.

By Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2018-02-20. Revised by Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2018-07-16.

The 1845 tithe award for Blackmore lists 'Little Johns' as the name of a close immediately west of Fryerning Wood. Its owner is listed as Thomas John Mattham, occupier as William Lawrence, state of cultivation as 'Pasture', area as 3 acres, state of cultivation as 'Pas[ture]', 2 roods and 1 perches (14442.22 m2).[1]

Gazetteers

MS sources

  • Tithe award for Blackmore, online at the Genealogist.co.uk, Piece 12, Sub-Piece 039, Image 017 (requires paid subscription)
  • Accompanying map, online at the Genealogist.co.uk, Piece 12, Sub-Piece 039, Sub-Image 001 (requires paid subscription).

Printed sources

Maps

Little Johns not labelled.

Background

Also see

Notes

  1. Tithe award for Blackmore, online at the Genealogist.co.uk, Piece 12, Sub-Piece 039, Image 017 (requires paid subscription); Genealogist.co.uk, Piece 12, Sub-Piece 039, Sub-Image 001; map (requires paid subscription). Waller, William Chapman, compil. 'Essex Field Names: Part VIII.—The Hundred of Chelmsford', Transactions of the Essex Archæological Society, New Series, vol. IX (1903), pp. 156-179; see pp. 157, 170.


Image gallery

Click any image to display it in the lightbox, where you can navigate between images by clicking in the right or left side of the current image.