Little John Lakes (New Ollerton)
|Vicinity||By River Maun, immediately W of Maida Lane|
|Interest||Robin Hood name|
|First Record||c. 2006|
By Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2018-05-21. Revised by Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2019-04-05.
'Little John Lakes' is the name of three small artificial fishing lakes by River Maun on the west side of Maida Lane in Ollerton. The lakes are named Robin Hood, Maid Marion and Friar Tuck. Little John Lakes opened in 2006, but it is not clear if all three lakes had been established by that time.
The three lakes are arranged along a NE–SW axis between River Maun and Maida Lane. Based on Google Earth and Maps Street View imagery, Google satellite view imagery, and videos of fishing competitions at the lakes uploaded to Youtube, it is my impression that the first lake to be established was Maid Marion, the northwesternmost of the lakes, then to the southeast Robin Hood, and further southeast Friar Tuck. For statistical purposes this facility has been entered as an 'Establishment', while the individual lakes have been categorized as 'Natural feature', which is paradoxically the best fit given the categories in use at IRHB.
- Anonymous. 'No Shortage of Places to Fish: the Nottingham and Erewash Canals are Alive', Nottingham Post (2012-04-26)
- Facebook: Little John Lakes
- Little John Lakes.
- 25" O.S. map Nottinghamshire XIX.14 (c. 1885; surveyed c. 1884). No Copy in NLS
- 25" O.S. map Nottinghamshire XIX.14 (c. 1899; rev. c. 1897-98). No Copy in NLS
- 25" O.S. map Nottinghamshire XIX.14 (1920; rev. 1915)
- 25" O.S. map Nottinghamshire XIX.13 (1920; rev. 1915) (georeferenced)
- 25" O.S. map Nottinghamshire XIX.14 (1945; rev. 1938).
- 6" O.S. map Nottinghamshire XIX.SW (1884; surveyed 1882)
- 6" O.S. map Nottinghamshire XIX.SW (1900; rev. 1897-99)
- 6" O.S. map Nottinghamshire XIX.SW (1900; rev. 1897-99) (georeferenced)
- 6" O.S. map Nottinghamshire XIX.SW (1921; rev. 1915).
- Anonymous. 'Little John Lakes, New Ollerton, Notts (Angling Times, 2016-05-31)
- Drennan: Little John Lakes
- Youtube: Little John Lakes.
- Youtube: BagUpTV: Little John Lakes – Friar Tuck
- Youtube: BagUpTV: Little John Lakes – Maid Marion
- Youtube: BagUpTV: Little John Lakes – Robin Hood.
- Little John Lakes (New Ollerton) place-name cluster
- New Ollerton place-name cluster
- Places named after Little John.
- Anonymous. 'No Shortage of Places to Fish: the Nottingham and Erewash Canals are Alive', Nottingham Post (2012-04-26).
- As of 22 May 2018, the article is dated "26 APR 2102". Presumably the year is 2012.
Click any image to display it in the lightbox, where you can navigate between images by clicking in the right or left side of the current image.
Match fishing TV still image from Robin Hood lake / Youtube: BagUpTV.
Maid Marian / Youtube:Still from BagUpTV.