Little John (Hardcastle Moor)
|Adm. div.||West Riding of Yorkshire|
|Vicinity||c. 6 km W of Pateley Bridge|
|Interest||Robin Hood name|
By Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2016-08-09. Revised by Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2018-09-23.
The first 6" O.S. map of the Bewerley–Thornthwaite–Padside area, published in 1854, surveyed 1849-50, has the name "Little John" next to what must be the marker for a quarry, on Hardcastle Moor, towards the SE end of the present Yorkshire Dales National Park. The quarry was situated immediately east of a footpath, not shown on Google Maps, but then running approximately NNW to SSE through the area. The quarry is not indicated on the later 6" O.S. maps. It is uncertain if the name had anything to do with Robin Hood's second-in-command; in the immediate vicinity was a quarry named Little Betty.
This part of Yorkshire then belonged to the West Riding but is now part of the North Riding. A search for "Little John" and "Hardcastle Moor" on 9 August 2016 yielded no relevant results.
- Not included in Dobson, R.B., ed.; Taylor, J., ed. Rymes of Robyn Hood: an Introduction to the English Outlaw (London, 1976), pp. 293-311.
- 6" O.S. map Yorkshire 135 (1854, surveyed 1849-50)
- 6" O.S. map Yorkshire CXXXV (1895, rev. 1889-90)
- 6" O.S. map Yorkshire CXXXV.NW (1910, rev. 1907)
- 6" O.S. map Yorkshire CXXXV.NW (1910, rev. 1907).
- 6" O.S. map Yorkshire 135 (1854, surveyed 1849-50); for the marker see Cassini Historical Maps: Keys and Legends.
- See maps section below.