Little John (Hampsfield)
|Vicinity||Immediately E of Heaning Wood; Hampsfield Allotment, c. 1.3 km SE of Field Broughton|
|Interest||Robin Hood name|
By Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2019-02-15. Revised by Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2021-01-07.Two boulders immediately east of Heaning Wood, on Hampsfield Allotment, c. 1.3 km SE of Field Broughton, were formerly known as 'Robin Hood and Little John'. See further Robin Hood (Hampsfield).
On the brow of the allotment above Haening Wood two large stones, of the mountain limestone in situ, stand out prominently on the surface. These have from time immemorial gone by the names of Robin Hood and Little John. They are so given in the six-inch [p. 475:] scale ordnance map. No reasons for these names are known, but the stones may have been local marks for the shepherds in the old times when the district was unenclosed.
- Not included in Dobson, R. B., ed.; Taylor, J., ed. Rymes of Robyn Hood: an Introduction to the English Outlaw (London, 1976), pp. 293-11.
- 25" O.S. map Lancashire XII.16 (1890; surveyed 1889)
- 25" O.S. map Lancashire XII.16 (1913; rev. 1911) (georeferenced)
- 25" O.S. map Lancashire XII.16 (1913; rev. 1911)
- 6" O.S. map Lancashire XII (1851; surveyed 1848)
- 6" O.S. map Lancashire XII.SE (1919; rev. 1911)
- 6" O.S. map Lancashire XII.SE (1919; rev. 1911) (georeferenced)
- 6" O.S. map Lancashire XII.SE (c. 1947; rev. 1911).
- Morecambe Bay Partnership; [Martin, Louise]; [Peters, Cat]; [Newman, Richard]. The Archaeology of Hampsfell and Kirkhead: Archaeological Desk-Based Assessment and Volunteer Research (Carlisle, ), p. 65, asset No. 63.