Jump to: navigation, search

Little John (Calais)

Locality
Coordinates 50.951294, 1.858673
Adm. div. Pas-de-Calais
Vicinity The harbour
Type Transport
Interest Robin Hood name
Status Defunct
First Record 1447
Loading map...
Calais.

By Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2018-11-04. Revised by Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2018-11-04.

A ship named the 'Litell John' hailed from the Pale of Calais in 1447. See Record below. Calais was English from 1347 to 1558.

Records

1447 - Litell John ship of Calais

[7 Oct. 1447:]
Grant to the king's serjeant, Thomas Byrmychamp, esquire for the body, of all that pertains to the king of the forfeiture of two ships called 'spynners' alias 'farkenstekers,' laden of late with wool and other goods and merchandise in the port of Pole or other places and 'crykes' pertaining thereto, which, issuing thence secretly without payment of cocket or custom, were taken by two ships called Litell John of Calais and Nicholas of London. By K. etc.[1]

Background

Also see

Notes