Little John's Croft (Warton)

From International Robin Hood Bibliography
Locality
Coordinate 53.7357, -2.8907
Adm. div. Lancashire
Vicinity Between Warton Aerodrome and the Ribble; Warton, Kirkham
Type Area
Interest Robin Hood name
Status Defunct
First Record 1841
Loading map...
The former Little John's Croft.
A plot of land here by the Ribble was formerly known as Little John's Croft / Google Earth Street View (click or tap to enlarge).

By Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2021-01-29. Revised by Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2021-02-12.

In 1841 a piece of pasture, practically part of the mud flats on the north bank of the Ribble, c. 1.1 km southeast of the present settlement of Warton Bank, was known as Little John's Croft. It was situated immediately south of the area now occupied by Warton Aerodrome.

The plot is listed as 'Little John's Croft' in the 1841 tithe award for the township of Warton in the parish of Kirkham. Its area was 1 acre and 3 perches (4122.73 m2), its owner and occupier Elizabeth Penketh, its state of cultivation meadow.[1] The contours of the field are clearly indicated on the earliest of the 6" O.S. maps listed below. See the map detail included in the image gallery below where Little John's Close is indicated in maroon.

Gazetteers

MS sources

  • 1841 tithe award for township of Warton in the parish of Kirkham, online at the Genealogist, piece 18, sub-piece 324, image 018, #270 (£)
  • accompanying map, online at the Genealogist, piece 18, sub-piece 324, sub-image 001, #270 (£).

Maps

Background


Notes

  1. 1841 tithe award for township of Warton in the parish of Kirkham, online at the Genealogist, piece 18, sub-piece 324, image 018, #270 (£); accompanying map, online at the Genealogist, piece 18, sub-piece 324, sub-image 001, #270 (£).


Image gallery

Click any image to display it in the lightbox, where you can navigate between images by clicking in the right or left side of the current image.