Little John's Croft (Warton)
|Vicinity||Between Warton Aerodrome and the Ribble; Warton, Kirkham|
|Interest||Robin Hood name|
By Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2021-01-29. Revised by Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2021-02-12.
In 1841 a piece of pasture, practically part of the mud flats on the north bank of the Ribble, c. 1.1 km southeast of the present settlement of Warton Bank, was known as Little John's Croft. It was situated immediately south of the area now occupied by Warton Aerodrome.
The plot is listed as 'Little John's Croft' in the 1841 tithe award for the township of Warton in the parish of Kirkham. Its area was 1 acre and 3 perches (4122.73 m2), its owner and occupier Elizabeth Penketh, its state of cultivation meadow. The contours of the field are clearly indicated on the earliest of the 6" O.S. maps listed below. See the map detail included in the image gallery below where Little John's Close is indicated in maroon.
- Not included in Dobson, R. B., ed.; Taylor, J., ed. Rymes of Robyn Hood: an Introduction to the English Outlaw (London, 1976), pp. 293-311.
- 1841 tithe award for township of Warton in the parish of Kirkham, online at the Genealogist, piece 18, sub-piece 324, image 018, #270 (£)
- accompanying map, online at the Genealogist, piece 18, sub-piece 324, sub-image 001, #270 (£).
- 25" O.S. map Lancashire LXVIII.1 (c. 1893; surveyed c. 1891). No copy in NLS
- 25" O.S. map Lancashire LXXX.4 (1910; rev. 1909) (georeferenced)
- 25" O.S. map Lancashire LXVIII.1 (1911; rev. 1909)
- 6" O.S. map Lancashire LXVII (1848; surveyed 1844–45)
- 6" O.S. map Lancashire LXVII.NE (1894; surveyed 1891–92)
- 6" O.S. map Lancashire LXVII.NE (1912; rev. 1908) (georeferenced)
- 6" O.S. map Lancashire LXVII.NE (1912; rev. 1908)
- 6" O.S. map Lancashire LXVII.NE (1932; rev. 1929–30)
- 6" O.S. map Lancashire LXVII.NE (1948; rev. 1938).
Click any image to display it in the lightbox, where you can navigate between images by clicking in the right or left side of the current image.
Little John's Croft indicated in maroon. It extended a bit east, beyond the are covered by this map segment / Detail of 6" O.S. map Lancashire LXVII (1848; surveyed 1844–45); reprod. with perm. of NLS; under Creative Commons Attrib. (CC-BY) license; adapt. Henrik Thiil Nielsen.