Jump to: navigation, search

Ivanhoe Baths (Ashby-de-la-Zouch)

Locality
Coordinates 52.7445, -1.4732
Adm. div. Leicestershire
Vicinity In Ashby-de-la-Zouch, between Station Road and Prior Park Road
Type Establishment
Interest Robin Hood name
Status Defunct
First Record 1822
Loading map...
The site of Ivanhoe Baths.
View to Ivanhoe Baths / postcard, from Leicestershire and Rutland Gardens Trust website.

By Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2017-05-08. Revised by Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2018-07-16.

Ivanhoe Baths, housed in a Neoclassical building on Station Road in Ashby-dela-Zouch, opened in 1822. The building was derelict by 1960 and demolished in 1962. In 1805, a saline spring was discovered during coal mining at Moira Colliery, c. 5 km west of Ashby. Baths and a hotel were built, but after a few years it was decided to convey the water to Ashby and establish the business there instead under the name of the Ivanhoe Baths.[1]

The spa was designed by Robert Chaplin and built by the 1st Marquis of Hastings. The building had a 45 m wide collonade in front and a classical dome which let in light for saloon and pump room. There were card rooms, a billiards room as well as private baths for ladies and gentlemen. Remarkably the mineral water for the baths was transported to Ashby by boat and horse-drawn tramway from the spring at Moira colliery. The Bath Grounds included a carriage drive and walks used for recreation.[2]

Barrie Cox discussed Ivanhoe Baths in the English Place-Name Society's seventh volume on Leicestershire, referring to trade directories of 1846, 1863 and 1877 as well as an O.S. map dated 1835.[3]

Gazetteers

Sources

Maps

Postcards

Also see

Notes