|Vicinity||27 km NE of Exeter|
|Events||One pound of gunpowder spent when Robert Hood (Robin Hood) of Colyton visited; Whitsun ale.|
By Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2015-08-27. Revised by Henrik Thiil Nielsen, 2019-04-23.
payd to master cogynge for one ˄⌜j li. of⌝ powdar when
Robarte hode of collyton came in xiiii 〈...〉
Item made declaro for whit sonne ayle xix s x〈.〉
Item mad declaro for Roberte houde xvij s
"˂...˃" indicates "lost or illegible letters in the original"; "⌜⌝" indicates "interlineation above the line"; "˄" represents a caret mark in Wasson's source.
1571/72: St Michael's Churchwardens' Accounts, f. 4. Accounting year: 30 November-29 November. Under heading "Charges". Note to bracketed ellipsis: "page torn".
1576/77: St Michael's Churchwardens' Accounts, f. 15. Accounting year: 30 November-29 November. Under heading: "Receipts".
Wasson, p. xxv, notes the relative abundance of Robin Hood entries in Devon records, but warns against assuming the events in question were all of a dramatic nature, noting that the chief tasks of the persons elected Robin Hood and Little John were to collect money for the parish and frequently to serve as ale wardens; in most cases the records are not explicit as to the nature of the events.
Wasson (1986), p. lxii: church ales figure in Honiton accounts during the period from 1570 to 1581.
In 1580/81, minstrels were paid 5s. "at whytsontyde". Colyton, whence the visiting Robin Hood came, lies c. 10.5 km to the south-east.
Lists and gazetteers
- Lancashire, Ian, compil. Dramatic Texts and Records of Britain: a Chronological Topography to 1558 (Cambridge, 1984), No. 779.
- Sussex, Lucy, compil. 'References to Robin Hood up to 1600', in: Knight, Stephen. Robin Hood: A Complete Study of the English Outlaw (Oxford, UK; Cambridge, Massachusetts: Blackwell, 1994), pp. 262-88, see pp. 279, 280.
- Not included in Wiles, David. The Early Plays of Robin Hood (Cambridge, 1981), Appendix I.
- Anonymous. St Michael's Churchwardens' Accounts, Honiton. Devon Record Office, Exeter. 1639A PW1. 1570-1651, ff. 4, 15; not seen, but cf. Wasson (1986), pp. xlvii, 207-208.
- Wasson, John M., ed. Devon. (Records of Early English Drama) (Toronto; Buffalo; London, ©1986), pp. 207-208, and see pp. xxv, xlvii, 527.
- Wasson, John M., ed. Devon. (Records of Early English Drama) (Toronto; Buffalo; London, ©1986), p. 207.
- Wasson (1986a), p. 208.
- Wasson (1986), p. 208.